- Published on Friday, 04 May 2012 22:29
- Written by Super User
ISLAND TRUE VALUE TACKLE & HARDWARE
801 N. Lake Park Blvd. Carolina Beach, NC 28428 Phone: (910) 458-3049
Fax: (910) 458-0988
Installing shelves? Hanging a mirror? You’ll need more than drywall to hang them on. You need the solid backing of a “stud” the vertical 2x4’s behind finished walls. Here’s six ways to find them ranging from hi-tech to low-tech to no-tech and even “what the heck”.
• Most reliable is the hi-tech electronic stud finder that detects changes in density. Pass it over a wall and lights and tones tell when you’ve found a stud.
Some signal pipes, cable and wires too.
• “Low-tech” magnetic finders locate screws and nails but they also find wiring, pipes and air ducts that may be nowhere near a stud.
• “No-tech” methods include tapping and listening or noting where switches and outlets are installed and eyeball techniques like holding a light close to a wall and looking for nail heads and seams.
• Finally, the “what-the-heck” method involves drilling a hole and either being lucky enough to hit a stud or (if not) inserting a coat hanger and fishing around inside for a stud.
And that’s the Tip of the week from Island Tackle & Hardware.