- Published on Wednesday, 23 October 2013 22:27
- Written by Super User
ISLAND TRUE VALUE TACKLE & HARDWARE
801 N. Lake Park Blvd. Carolina Beach, NC 28428 Phone: (910) 458-3049
Fax: (910) 458-0988
Do your driveway and garage floor look like an ad for grease? If so, it’s time for one of the True Value formulas for cleaning greasy stuff. First, grab some cat litter and spread it around on the grease.
Then grind it in real good, walking and twisting around on it. Sweep it up, and open a cola beverage. Spread the drink around on the floor. Wet the grease stains thoroughly. Work it in with a stiff broom, but don’t let it dry. Once the cola quits fizzing, rinse it with water, then whiten up the remaining gray stain with a solution of 1 cup of liquid chlorine bleach and 1 cup of powdered laundry detergent in 1 gallon of very hot water.
Rain Gutter Tune-Up
It’s a good day for fixing-up your rain gutters (with quick-fix tips from the Carey Brothers). Gutters leak? Sag? All clogged up? Runneth over like the proverbial “cup”?
To find sagging low spots pour water in the high end and gently bend metal brackets up with pliers where water accumulates. Then patch leaky joints with silicone caulk or gutter sealant. To fix a leaky steel gutter apply a liberal coat of roofing cement, add a layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil followed by more cement, more foil and a third coat of roofing cement. When clearing gutters don’t mess up siding by dumping debris overboard.
Tie a long rope onto a bucket instead and lower it to the ground where a helper can dump it or you can climb down safely using both hands. Patch up the gutters and raindrops won’t be falling on your head anymore.
Bonus Tip: Nothing ruins a great getaway like coming home to realize you’ve had unwelcome house guests. To help avoid being burglarized take the following pre-vacation steps:
1. Call the post office to stop mail and suspend newspaper delivery
2. Get a few timers to turn several lights, the TV or radio on and off during the day and night
3. If you have a second car, park it in the driveway
4. If you’ll be gone long, ask a neighbor to put some of their trash in your garbage cans
5. Ask a friend or neighbor to house sit by dropping by regularly and checking up on things and picking up junk mail and flyers that can accumulate. (Remember to describe this house sitter to your neighbors, so burglars can’t claim to be house sitting and house sitters don’t get arrested.)
6. If you have a baby monitor, leave the monitor with a neighbor and the base unit turned on at your home.
If the security or smoke alarms go off, or if your neighbors hear something they shouldn’t, they can immediately call 911.
And that’s the tip of the week from Island True Value Tackle & Hardware.