- Published on Sunday, 08 April 2012 20:09
- Written by Super User
The Aquarium is located at US 421, 15 Miles South of Wilmington For more information or to register for a program, please call (910)458-7468 Monday - Friday from 9-5PM or Check the website for program details at www.ncaquariums.com
*Pre-Registration for all events REQUIRED. Meeting place for all events is at the North Carolina Aquarium’s Front Desk (unless otherwise listed).
BEHIND THE SCENES
• AQUARIST APPRENTICE - Saturday, April 28, 2012 at 2 p.m. - Find out what it is like to be responsible for the aquarium critters. Join staff on a behind-the-scenes tour, learn about our animals and their diets, and assist our staff in the preparation of food and feeding of some of our animals. Participants will also observe our Aquarists accomplish some of their daily care and maintenance tasks. This limited opportunity is only open to 10 participants. Participants should wear close-toed shoes and be prepared to smell fishy. For ages 10 and up. Ages 14 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Fee: $25.00 per participant. Aquarium admission included.
• BEHIND THE SCENES TOUR - Sunday, April 15, 2012 at 1 p.m., Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 1 p.m. - Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes at an Aquarium? Space for animal holding, husbandry, life support systems, and access to exhibits is hidden behind the aquarium walls. If you have ever cared for a home aquarium, you may have some idea of what it takes to operate a collection of salt and freshwater exhibits, with hundreds of animals. Accompany aquarium staff on a guided tour of animal quarantine, life support, food preparation, and access areas. This unique opportunity is limited to 10 participants. Children under 8 are not permitted. Children between 8 and 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Fee: $15.00 for adults and $13.00 for children 17 and under. Aquarium admission included. NC Aquarium Society Members pay $9.00 per participant.
• EXTENDED BEHIND THE SCENES - Friday, April 13, 2012 at 2 p.m. - It’s feeding time, and you’re invited to watch. Visit the top of our largest exhibit, the Cape Fear Shoals, during an expanded tour behind the scenes. Get a birds-eye view of this 235,000 gallon tank as sharks, stingrays, moray eels, and other fish swim below! Aquarists feed the animals during the tour, offering a unique opportunity for close-up viewing. Children under 8 are not permitted. Children between 8 and 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Fee: $20.00 for ages 13 and up, $18.00 for ages 8-12. Aquarium admission included.
OUTDOORS & EXPLORATION
• SURF FISHING WORKSHOP - Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 9 a.m. and Saturday, April 28, 2012 at 9 a.m. - This 3-hour workshop includes one hour of classroom discussion, then surf fishing on the beach nearby. All equipment and bait provided. Program is rain or shine, with extra activities added in event of bad weather (e.g., throwing a cast net). For ages 10 and older. Fee: $15 per participant. Aquarium admission is not included. Pre-registration required.
ALLIGATOR EGG HUNT - Friday, April 6, 2012 at 10:00 a.m., Friday, April 6, 2012 at 1:00 p.m., Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:00 a.m., Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. - Come join the fun on our Alligator Egg Hunt. Kids get to see a live baby alligator and learn about these fascinating animals. They create their own special alligator egg basket and then search for candy filled “alligator eggs.” Recommended for kids 3-10, however all ages are welcome. Limited space is available. Ages 14 and younger must be accompanied by an adult. Fee: $17.00 per child, includes admission to the Aquarium. $11.00 for NC Aquarium Members. Adults will need to pay admission to Aquarium. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED BY MARCH 28, 2012 FOR MARCH 31, 2012 PROGRAMS. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED BY APRIL 4, 2012 FOR APRIL 6 AND 7, 2012 PROGRAMS.
• 5K RACE FOR THE PLANET - Saturday, April 22, 2012 at 8 a.m. - The N.C. Aquarium at Fort Fisher brings you the fourth annual 5K Race for the Planet on April 22, 2012. Celebrate your health and Earth Day by running or walking the greenest race around. Participants receive organic t-shirts (guaranteed for the first 350), reusable shopping bags, free seeds and wildflower bib numbers ready for planting. Overall and age group winners go home with eco-friendly medals and prizes. As an added bonus this year, each race participant receives FREE admission to the Aquarium on race day. The 5K Race for the Planet starts and ends at the Aquarium. The flat, mostly asphalt course runs through scenic Fort Fisher with amazing views of the ocean, maritime forest and historic Fort Fisher Civil War site. Fee: $25 per runner prior to April 12 and $30 after April 12; Aquarium admission included. Easy online registration is available at ncaquariums.com/fort-fisher. To register by phone, please call (910) 458.7468.
DAY CAMPS FOR KIDS
NEW! AquaCamp Transportation! This year we are offering limited transportation from the Monkey Junction area to and from Aquacamps! We can accommodate only 13 children per day. A fee and pre-registration is required!