- Published on Saturday, 09 June 2012 23:27
- Written by Super User
The Aquarium is located at US 421, 15 Miles South of Wilmington For more information or to register for a program, please call (910)458-7468 Monday - Friday from 9-5PM or Check the website for program details at www.ncaquariums.com
*Pre-Registration for all events REQUIRED. Meeting place for all events is at the North Carolina Aquarium’s Front Desk (unless otherwise listed).
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REGISTER FOR A PROGRAM, please call (910) 458.7468 or visit ncaquariums.com/fort-fisher. For all programs, children ages 14 and younger must be accompanied by an adult, except for camps. ALL programs require pre-registration and fees.
BEHIND THE SCENES
• AQUARIST APPRENTICE - Saturday, June 2, 2012 at 2 p.m., Saturday, June 9, 2012 at 2 p.m., and Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 2 p.m. - Find out what it is like to be responsible for the aquarium critters. Join staff on a behind-the-scenes tour, learn about our animals and their diets, and assist our staff in the preparation of food and feeding of some of our animals. Participants will also observe our Aquarists accomplish some of their daily care and maintenance tasks. This limited opportunity is only open to 10 participants. Participants should wear close-toed shoes and be prepared to smell fishy. For ages 10 and up. Ages 14 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Fee: $25.00 per participant. Aquarium admission included.
• BEHIND THE SCENES TOUR - Sunday, June 10, 2012 at 1 p.m. and Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 11:30 a.m. - Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes at an Aquarium? Space for animal holding, husbandry, life support systems, and access to exhibits is hidden behind the aquarium walls. If you have ever cared for a home aquarium, you may have some idea of what it takes to operate a collection of salt and freshwater exhibits, with hundreds of animals. Accompany aquarium staff on a guided tour of animal quarantine, life support, food preparation, and access areas. This unique opportunity is limited to 10 participants. Children under 8 are not permitted. Children between 8 and 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Fee: $15.00 for adults and $13.00 for children 17 and under. Aquarium admission included. NC Aquarium Society Members pay $9.00 per participant.
• EXTENDED BEHIND THE SCENES - Monday, June 4, 2012 at 2 p.m., Wednesday, June 6, 2012 at 2 p.m., Friday, June 8, 2012 at 2 p.m., Monday, June 18, 2012 at 2 p.m., Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 2 p.m., and Friday, June 22, 2012 at 2 p.m. - It’s feeding time, and you’re invited to watch. Visit the top of our largest exhibit, the Cape Fear Shoals, during an expanded tour behind the scenes. Get a birds-eye view of this 235,000 gallon tank as sharks, stingrays, moray eels, and other fish swim below! Aquarists feed the animals during the tour, offering a unique opportunity for close-up viewing. Children under 8 are not permitted. Children between 8 and 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Fee: $20.00 for ages 13 and up, $18.00 for ages 8-12. Aquarium admission included.
• BREAKFAST WITH THE FISHES - Saturday, June 9, 2012 at 8 a.m. - Get a sneak peek at the aquarium before it opens for the day. Coffee, juice, pastries and bagels are provided for guests. After breakfast participants are invited to feed some of our aquarium critters! Come and enjoy breakfast with your favorite aquarium resident, and stay to enjoy the rest of the morning. Fee: $15 for ages 13 and older, $13 for ages 3-12, $5 for age 2. Aquarium admission included. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
Outdoors & Exploration
• CANOEING THE SALT MARSH - Saturday, June 2, 2012 at 9 a.m., Saturday, June 9, 2012 at 9 a.m., Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 9 a.m. - A three-hour exploration of the Zeke’s Island Estuarine Research Reserve by canoe. Activities may include crabbing, seining, or birding. Participants should wear closed-toe shoes, be able to swim and be capable of sustained physical exertion. Ages 8 and older. Ages 8-12 must be accompanied by two adults. Fee: $25 per participant. Admission to Aquarium is not included. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
• SURF FISHING WORKSHOP - Tuesday, June 5, 2012 at 8 a.m. Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 8 a.m., and Tuesday, June 19, 2012 at 8 a.m. - This 3-hour workshop includes one hour of classroom discussion, then surf fishing on the beach nearby. All equipment and bait provided. Program is rain or shine, with extra activities added in event of bad weather (e.g., throwing a cast net). Ages 10 and older. Fee: $15 per participant. Aquarium admission is not included. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
SUMMER DAY CAMPS FOR KIDS
Aquarium summer camps provide fun and safe learning opportunities with knowledgeable and competent leadership. Camps run simultaneously for ages 5-6, 7-9, and 10-12. Ages 5-6, known as Aquanauts, become immersed in weekly topics through animal interaction, play, storytelling, crafts, and hands on outdoor activities. Marine Detectives (ages 7-9), use their investigative skills in animal programs, outdoor excursions, and interactive games to better understand new concepts. Ocean Explorers (ages 10-12), participate with staff in experiences outdoors, and behind the scenes at the Aquarium, to discover each weekly topic. Ages 13-14, Coastal Crusaders, venture farther to explore different coastal environments, such as black water swamps. These campers also interact more directly with staff behind the scenes to assist with animal care.
• Wildlife Rescuers - June 18 – 22, 2012 at 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. for Ages: 5-6, 7-9-, 10-12 an June 25 – 29, 2012 at 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. for Ages: 5-6, 7-9, 10-12 - Campers are on a mission to save the animals and the environment we share! Whether it's protecting water, wildlife, or the environment in general, campers will learn steps to care for and conserve wildlife and wild places, and why it's so important. Lessons focus on threatened animals and local and global actions taken to protect them. We will reduce, reuse, and recycle throughout this camp. Fee: $220 for non-members for ages 5-12, $198 for ages 5-12 for NC Aquarium Society Members. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED
• Coastal Crusaders - June 25 – 29, 2012 at 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. for Ages: 13-14 - Why do North Carolina coastal waters support some of the nation’s healthiest fisheries? What is unique about rivers, lakes and streams in North Carolina’s coastal plain? How can North Carolina’s aquatic environments be recreated, and maintained, in an Aquarium setting? By exploring natural environments and participating in Aquarium care, campers gain a better understanding of how to investigate and preserve the environment we all share. Activities include canoeing, fishing, swimming, and animal care. Fee: $270 for non-members for ages 13-14, $243 for ages 13-14 for NC Aquarium Society Members. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED.