- Published on Sunday, 08 July 2012 20:20
- Written by Super User
KURE BEACH - The North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher is open regular hours, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday, July 4. Animal feedings, live animal encounters and dive presentations in the Cape Fear Shoals exhibit at 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. are among several programs free with admission offered daily. This includes an alligator feeding at 3 p.m. Wednesday. Additional activities offered throughout the holiday week are listed below.
Pre-registration for these programs is required and can be made online at ncaquarium.com/fort-fisher or by calling (910) 458-7468.
• Surf Fishing Workshop - Tuesday, July 3 at 8:00 a.m. $15; Aquarium admission is not included. This 3-hour workshop includes one hour of classroom discussion, then nearby. All equipment and bait provided. Program is rain or shine, with event of bad weather (e.g., throwing a cast net). Ages 10 and older.
• Behind the Scenes Tour - Thursday, July 5 at 11:30 p.m. Ages: 10 and older; ages 14 and younger must be accompanied by an adult. Fee: $15.00 for ages 13 and older, $13.00 for ages 8-12; Aquarium admission included. Check out a dirty job you’re sure to love. Join staff on a behind-the-scenes tour and learn about Aquarium animals, what they eat, how they live and how to care for them. Then assist aquarists with food preparation and help feed the animals.
• Extended Behind the Scenes Tour - Friday, July 6 at 2:00 p.m. Fee: $20 for ages 13 and older, $18 for ages 8-12. Aquarium admission included. It’s feeding time, and you’re invited to watch. Visit the top of our largest exhibit, the Cape Fear Shoals, during an expanded tour behind the scenes. Get a birds-eye view of this 235,000 gallon tank as sharks, stingrays, moray eels, and other fish swim below! Aquarists feed the animals during the tour, offering a unique opportunity for close-up viewing. Participants should wear closed-toe shoes. Children younger than 8 are not permitted. Children ages 8-14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
• Canoeing the Salt Marsh - Sunday, July 8 at 2:00 p.m. Fee: $25; Aquarium admission not included.
A three-hour exploration of the Zeke’s Island Estuarine Research Reserve by canoe. Activities may include crabbing, seining, or birding. Participants should be able to swim and be capable of sustained physical exertion. Ages 8 and up. Ages 8-12 must be accompanied by two adults. Participants should wear closed-toe shoes.
NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher is located just south of Kure Beach, 15 miles south of Wilmington, on US 421.
The site is less than a mile from the Fort Fisher ferry terminal. Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Admission: $8 adults ages 13-62; $7 ages 63 and older; $6 ages 3-12. Free admission for: children under 2 and NC Aquarium Society members. General information: ncaquarium.com/fort-fisher