- Published on Sunday, 29 July 2012 00:17
- Written by Super User
The Aquarium is located at US 421, 15 Miles South of Wilmington For more information or to register for a program, please call (910)458-7468 Monday - Friday from 9-5PM or Check the website for program details at www.ncaquariums.com
*Pre-Registration for all events REQUIRED. Meeting place for all events is at the North Carolina Aquarium’s Front Desk (unless otherwise listed).
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REGISTER FOR A PROGRAM, please call (910) 458.7468 or visit ncaquariums.com/fort-fisher. For all programs, children ages 14 and younger must be accompanied by an adult, except for camps. ALL programs require pre-registration and fees.
BEHIND THE SCENES
• BEHIND THE SCENES TOUR - Thursday, July 26, 2012 at 11:30 a.m. - Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes at an Aquarium? Space for animal holding, husbandry, life support systems, and access to exhibits is hidden behind the aquarium walls. If you have ever cared for a home aquarium, you may have some idea of what it takes to operate a collection of salt and freshwater exhibits, with hundreds of animals. Accompany aquarium staff on a guided tour of animal quarantine, life support, food preparation, and access areas. This unique opportunity is limited to 10 participants. Children under 8 are not permitted. Children between 8 and 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Fee: $15.00 for adults and $13.00 for children 17 and under. Aquarium admission included. NC Aquarium Society Members pay $9.00 per participant.
• EXTENDED BEHIND THE SCENES - Wednesday, July 25, 2012 at 2 p.m., Monday, August 6, 2012 at 2 p.m. - It’s feeding time, and you’re invited to watch. Visit the top of our largest exhibit, the Cape Fear Shoals, during an expanded tour behind the scenes. Get a birds-eye view of this 235,000 gallon tank as sharks, stingrays, moray eels, and other fish swim below! Aquarists feed the animals during the tour, offering a unique opportunity for close-up viewing. Children under 8 are not permitted. Children between 8 and 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Fee: $20.00 for ages 13 and up, $18.00 for ages 8-12. Aquarium admission included.
Outdoors & Exploration
• CANOEING THE SALT MARSH - Saturday, July 28, 2012 at 9 a.m - A three-hour exploration of the Zeke’s Island Estuarine Research Reserve by canoe. Activities may include crabbing, seining, or birding. Participants should wear closed-toe shoes, be able to swim and be capable of sustained physical exertion. Ages 8 and older. Ages 8-12 must be accompanied by two adults. Fee: $25 per participant. Admission to Aquarium is not included. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
• SALT MARSH AND CRABBING - Monday, August 13, 2012 at 8 a.m. - Join us for this hands-on program that introduces participants to the challenge of catching blue crabs. Lessons in crab biology and crabbing equipment prepare participants for an exciting expedition outdoors to catch (and release) crabs. All bait and equipment is provided. Ages 7 and older. Ages 14 and younger must be accompanied by an adult. Fee: $16 for ages 13 and older, $14 for ages 7-12. Aquarium admission included. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
• SURF FISHING WORKSHOP - Tuesday, August 7, 2012 at 8 a.m., Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 8 a.m. - This 3-hour workshop includes one hour of classroom discussion, then surf fishing on the beach nearby. All equipment and bait provided. Program is rain or shine, with extra activities added in event of bad weather (e.g., throwing a cast net). Ages 10 and older. Fee: $15 per participant. Aquarium admission is not included. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED.
SUMMER DAY CAMPS FOR KIDS
Aquarium summer camps provide fun and safe learning opportunities with knowledgeable and competent leadership. Camps run simultaneously for ages 5-6, 7-9, and 10-12. Ages 5-6, known as Aquanauts, become immersed in weekly topics through animal interaction, play, storytelling, crafts, and hands on outdoor activities. Marine Detectives (ages 7-9), use their investigative skills in animal programs, outdoor excursions, and interactive games to better understand new concepts. Ocean Explorers (ages 10-12), participate with staff in experiences outdoors, and behind the scenes at the Aquarium, to discover each weekly topic. Ages 13-14, Coastal Crusaders, venture farther to explore different coastal environments, such as black water swamps. These campers also interact more directly with staff behind the scenes to assist with animal care.
• PREDATOR VS PREY - July 30-August 3, 2012 at 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. Ages: 5-6. Campers learn about food webs through the examination of predator and prey interactions. Activities stress the importance of all life and how a careful balance supports entire ecosystems. Fee: $220 for non-members for ages 5-12, $198 for ages 5-12 for NC Aquarium Society Members. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED