Sat04192014

Last update11:59:16 PM

Font Size

Profile

Menu Style

Cpanel
 
Back You are here: Home Features Events and Features Life on the Island Snow’s Cut Swing Bridge 1931-1962

Snow’s Cut Swing Bridge 1931-1962

Many older residents will remember the two lane steel swing bridge over Snow’s Cut in use before the present day bridge opened in late summer 1962.  The swing bridge was constructed by the Roanoke Bridge and Iron Company of Roanoke, Virginia in 1931.  It replaced a temporary wooden bridge built as the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway transformed the Federal Point peninsula into an island in 1930.   The swing bridge’s concrete supports on either side of the cut remain today, but the fate of the bridge was unknown until recently.  Mr. Vernon Meshaw of Pender County contacted the Federal Point Historic Preservation Society a few weeks ago with his story of the demise of the bridge.  Mr. Meshaw also had a very important artifact to donate to the FPHPS, that being the original plaque from the bridge.  
Mr. Meshaw will tell his story and present the plaque at the FPHPS November 18, 2013 meeting at the History Center at 1121 North Lake Park Blvd. 7:30 pm.  He will be joined by Frankie Stewart Jones daughter of the swing bridge’s last bridge tender.  
Elaine Henson will have a power point presentation on the early Intracoastal Waterway in New Hanover County and the Snow’s Cut swing bridge.   The public is invited. This is a 1937 post card of the Snow’s Cut steel bridge in place from 1931 to 1962.