- Published on Friday, 20 April 2012 22:09
- Written by Super User
Looking for a unique way to entertain the kids this summer? Cape Fear Museum’s offers Summer Shorts, a fun-filled, educational hour of hands-on adventures for groups of 10 or more children and their adult chaperones. These programs are a great option for day care centers, year-round schools, home-school groups, as well as camps that are looking to supplement their activities with an educational component.
Beginning on June 12 and running until August 17, children will get the opportunity to choose from four different and exciting 60-minute adventures. Plan to spend time before and after your program exploring the Museum with your group. Don’t miss our special Toys and Games summer exhibit!
This year, Cape Fear Museum is offering the following:
• Cape Fear Indians - Discover the first inhabitants of our region! Investigate Native American tools and artifacts and examine the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. Play a fun Native American game and create your own shell and bead jewelry.
• Bugs! Investigate creepy-crawly creatures of the Lower Cape Fear! Discover how a cricket “sings” and why a firefly glows. Play a game to learn how to tell a bug from an insect and construct your own click bug that really “clicks”!
• Star Quest - Enter Cape Fear Museum’s Starlab planetarium! Learn to identify constellations and moon phases. Participate in an interactive star story, listen to star-inspired myths from around the world, and create your own constellation viewer.
• Toys and Games - Get your game on! Play with folk toys and explore the science that makes them so much fun. Test your math skills in the game “King of the Turf”. Discover the history of several popular vintage toys and build your own toy to take home.
Summer Shorts are offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 9:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., and 1:00 p.m. These programs are appropriate for children ages 5–14 and the cost is $6 per child. Call 910-798-4362 to register your group today!
April 2012 Programs
WILMINGTON, N.C. – At Cape Fear Museum on Saturday, visit the Learning Center for Wonders of Light. The whole family can conduct experiments, explore artifacts, play fun games, and create exciting tools and toys to take home. At Sunday’s Cape Fear Skies: Spring Constellations, the whole family can enjoy a realistic planetarium experience. Venture into outer space, hear mythical tales and explore stars, planets, and more.
• Learning Center: Wonders of Light - Date/Time: Saturday, April 14 from 1:00 - 4:00 PM. Fee: Free for members or with general admission. Why is the sky blue? What makes a rainbow? Discover the colors of light and see what happens when you mix them. Conduct fun mirror experiments and learn how light travels. Explore the mysteries of light and color and even make an object disappear!
• Cape Fear Skies: Spring Constellations - Date/Time: Sunday, April 15 at 1:30, 2:30 & 3:30 PM. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Venture into outer space as you hear mythical tales and explore stars, planets, and more. Identify patterns of stars found in the spring sky.
• Shopping Around Wilmington - Exhibit opens March 22. In an era before mega-malls, online ordering, and big box stores, shopping in Wilmington centered around downtown. Shopping Around Wilmington will explore more than 100 years of shopping in Wilmington. Explore the ways in which increasing suburbanization changed people’s retail experiences. View some of the Museum’s images and artifacts that tell the Port City’s shopping story.
• Cape Fear Treasures: Shoes - Exhibit closes July 15, 2012. Glimpse a selection of footwear from Cape Fear Museum’s permanent collection. Imagine walking in our shoes as you view a sampling of the Museum’s collection of footwear from the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries featuring spectator oxford pumps, lace-up boots, satin slippers, leather wing tips, suede wedges, Air Jordans, and US Air Force combat boots.
Cape Fear Museum of History and Science, 814 Market St., is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday -Saturday, 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday; Labor Day through Memorial Day. General admission is $7 for adults; $6 for students and senior citizens; $6 special military rate with valid military ID; $4 for children 3-17; and free for children under 3 and for museum members. New Hanover County residents’ free day is the first Sunday of each month. More information: www.capefearmuseum.com.