- Published on Saturday, 05 May 2012 22:06
- Written by Super User
Looking for a unique way to entertain the kids this summer? Cape Fear Museum’s offers Summer Shorts, a fun-filled, educational hour of hands-on adventures for groups of 10 or more children and their adult chaperones. These programs are a great option for day care centers, year-round schools, home-school groups, as well as camps that are looking to supplement their activities with an educational component. Beginning on June 12 and running until August 17, children will get the opportunity to choose from four different and exciting 60-minute adventures. Plan to spend time before and after your program exploring the Museum with your group. Don’t miss our special Toys and Games summer exhibit! This year, Cape Fear Museum is offering the following:
• Cape Fear Indians - Discover the first inhabitants of our region! Investigate Native American tools and artifacts and examine the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. Play a fun Native American game and create your own shell and bead jewelry.
• Bugs! Investigate creepy-crawly creatures of the Lower Cape Fear! Discover how a cricket “sings” and why a firefly glows. Play a game to learn how to tell a bug from an insect and construct your own click bug that really “clicks”!
• Star Quest - Enter Cape Fear Museum’s Starlab planetarium! Learn to identify constellations and moon phases. Participate in an interactive star story, listen to star-inspired myths from around the world, and create your own constellation viewer.
• Toys and Games - Get your game on! Play with folk toys and explore the science that makes them so much fun. Test your math skills in the game “King of the Turf”. Discover the history of several popular vintage toys and build your own toy to take home.
Summer Shorts are offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 9:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., and 1:00 p.m. These programs are appropriate for children ages 5–14 and the cost is $6 per child. Call 910-798-4362 to register your group today!