- Published on Saturday, 09 June 2012 23:28
- Written by Super User
• Toys and Games - Exhibit closes September 9, 2012. View historical images of people at play and toys and games from our collection. Play with a variety of interactives inspired by the Museums’ collection. From Barbie dolls and tea sets to cap guns and a 1970s video game, Toys and Games connects visitors to generations of local residents through their playthings. Adults and children alike enjoy viewing toys from the past, and you can enjoy playing together as a family.
• Cape Fear Treasures: Shoes - Exhibit closes July 15, 2012. Glimpse a selection of footwear from Cape Fear Museum’s permanent collection. Imagine walking in our shoes as you view a sampling of the Museum’s collection of footwear from the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries featuring spectator oxford pumps, lace-up boots, satin slippers, leather wing tips, suede wedges, Air Jordans, and US Air Force combat boots.
• Shopping Around Wilmington - Exhibit closes February 17, 2013. In an era before mega-malls, online ordering, and big box stores, shopping in Wilmington centered around downtown. Shopping Around Wilmington will explore more than 100 years of shopping in Wilmington. Explore the ways in which increasing suburbanization changed people’s retail experiences. View some of the Museum’s images and artifacts that tell the Port City’s shopping story.
May/June 2012 Programs
In the Learning Center on Saturdays, the whole family can conduct experiments, explore artifacts, play fun games, and create exciting tools and toys to take home. Parental participation is required.
• June - Creative Chemistry - Dates: Saturday, June 9, 16, 23, 30 from 1-4 PM, for All Ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Is Oobleck a liquid or a solid? What does an atom look like? Find out as you investigate matter. Explore solids, liquids, and gases and experiment with mixtures! Unravel a colorful mystery and experiment with acids and bases.
Cape Fear Skies
3-2-1-Blast off! Cape Fear Skies offers your family a realistic planetarium experience the third Sunday of each month. Venture into outer space as you hear mythical tales and explore stars, planets, and more. Parental participation is required.
• Greek Myths & Legends - Date: Sunday, June 17. Times: 1:30, 2:30 & 3:30 PM for Ages: All. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Explore the night sky while listening to Greek star-inspired stories.
• Museum Carts - Explore artifacts, conduct experiments, and play fun games at facilitated carts stationed throughout the Museum. Activities and locations vary – What exciting cart will you encounter on your visit? Date: Sunday, June 3. Time: 1-3 PM for Ages: All. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission
Historic Collaborative Series
Join historic organizations in the downtown area to learn about regional history. Explore the beginnings of European and African settlement in the Lower Cape Fear—from Charlestowne in the 1660s to Brunswick and Wilmington in the 1720s and 1730s—with Dr. Chris E. Fonvielle, Jr., associate professor in the Department of History at UNC Wilmington.
• Stormfest - Date: Saturday, June 2. Time: 10 AM-4 PM. Fee: Free and open to the public. Meet meteorologists from area news stations; learn about weather phenomena, how to predict it, and what it’s like to be on TV! Find out how to prepare for dangerous weather, and discover the resources local governments offer to help with storm response and recovery. Organized by the National Weather Service.
• Grown-up Game Night - Date: June 15. Time: 7-10 PM. Fee: $5 for members; $7 for non-members; Memberships available on game night. Lring some friends, grab some appetizers and a seat, and get your game on! Try your hand at new and old favorites—from Battleship to Spades to brand new games. Admission includes access to great games (instructions if needed!), snacks and drinks, and a visit to the Museum’s Toys and Games exhibit. Games provided by Cape Fear Museum, Wilmington Board Games, Cape Fear Games, and Learning Express.