- Published on Sunday, 17 June 2012 19:31
- Written by Super User
Get Your Game On
Bring your friends for a night of game play at Cape Fear Museum on Friday, June 15 from 7:00-10:00 PM. At Grown-up Game Night, bored gamers get to be board gamers, card sharks can swim ashore, and cornhole fans will delight all night. There will be games aplenty on hand, provided by Cape Fear Games, Cape Fear Museum, and Learning Express. We’ll have the “Museum of Fun” set up for all kinds of game-playing options; the only piece missing is you!
Adults pay one low price to enter (no children or babies please): $5 for members and $7 for non-members. Admission includes access to great games (instructions if needed!), snacks and drinks, and a visit to the Museum’s Toys and Games exhibit. Beer provided by Brew Thru of Carolina Beach. Wine provided by Wilmington Wine Shop. Eats from Coastal Cupcakes, Moe's Southwest Grill, and Vic's Popcorn Popper. Call 910.798.4362 for more information.
Camp Spots Available
A summer of adventure and education awaits your child at Cape Fear Museum. Museum Summer Camps teach kids that science and history are FUN! Camps are geared towards children 5-14 and provide hands-on fun while offering engaging opportunities to learn about the history and science of the Lower Cape Fear region.
The museum has spots available in these exciting and interesting week-long camps:
• Cape Fear Wild (July 16 – 20) teaches children ages 9-10 how to be conscientious conservationists through the discovery of the region’s plants and animals, and ponder how humans and the environment are connected.
• In Museumology*, (July 30 – August 3) campers ages 11-14 design their own exhibit for Cape Fear Museum by selecting artifacts and telling their stories.
• In Dinos & More, (August 6 – 10) for ages 5-6, children discover the answers to everything they ever wanted to know about dinosaurs: from size and shape to names and features, try comparing prehistoric fossils and meeting their modern relatives. Summer camps are half day, running from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM. Weekly camp fees are $70 for Museum members and $90 for non-members. *Museumology is $90 for Museum members and $110 for non-members. Camp dates and registration forms are available at the Museum or online at www.capefearmuseum.com. Completed forms must be printed, signed and mailed, including full payment to: Cape Fear Museum, 814 Market Street, Wilmington, NC 28401-4731. For more information, call 910-798-4362.
June/July 2012 Programs
In the Learning Center on Saturdays, the whole family can conduct experiments, explore artifacts, play fun games, and create exciting tools and toys to take home. Parental participation is required.
• June—Creative Chemistry - Dates: Saturday, June 9, 16, 23, 30 from 1-4 PM. For all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Is Oobleck a liquid or a solid? What does an atom look like? Find out as you investigate matter. Explore solids, liquids, and gases and experiment with mixtures! Unravel a colorful mystery and experiment with acids and bases.
• July—Play! Dates: Saturday, July 7, 14, 21, from 1-4 PM. For all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Hopscotch your way to the finish line and explore games that pirates played. Play the oldest known game and compete in Museum Bingo. Compare modern and historic toys. Investigate the inventive process by creating your own toys and games to take home.
Cape Fear Skies
3-2-1-Blast off! Cape Fear Skies offers your family a realistic planetarium experience the third Sunday of each month. Venture into outer space as you hear mythical tales and explore stars, planets, and more. Parental participation is required.
Greek Myths & Legends - Date: Sunday, June 17th at 1:30, 2:30 & 3:30 PM. For all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Explore the night sky while listening to Greek star-inspired stories.
• Summer Constellations - Date: Sunday, July 15th at 1:30, 2:30 & 3:30 PM, For all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission
Investigate and learn how to locate “seasonal pictures” in the night sky.
Explore artifacts, conduct experiments, and play fun games at facilitated carts stationed throughout the Museum. Activities and locations vary – What exciting cart will you encounter on your visit? Date: Sunday, July 1st from 1-3 PM, For All Ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission
• Night at the Museum - Date: Saturday, July 28th from 6-10 PM for All Ages. Fee: $3 for members; $6 for non-members. Cape Fear Museum comes alive at night! Join us for Night at the Museum, a fun-filled summer evening exploring the Lower Cape Fear region after dark. Meet nocturnal animals. Examine the night sky. Be amazed as you encounter the sights and sounds of our nighttime world! Sponsored by Time Warner Cable Connect A Million Minds.
• Grown-up Game Night - Date: June 15 from 7-10 PM. Fee: $5 for members; $7 for non-members; Memberships available on game night. Bring some friends, grab some appetizers and a seat, and get your game on! Try your hand at new and old favorites—from Battleship to Spades to brand new games. Admission includes access to great games (instructions if needed!), snacks and drinks, and a visit to the Museum’s Toys and Games exhibit. Beer and wine provided by Brew Thru Carolina Beach. Eats provided by Coastal Cupcakes, Moe’s Southwest Grill, and Vic’s Popcorn Popper. Games provided by Cape Fear Museum, Cape Fear Games, and Learning Express.
Summer Camps – 2012 Offerings - Cape Fear Museum Summer Camps provide an avenue for children 5-14 to engage in fun, hands-on learning about the history and natural science of the Lower Cape Fear.
• Time Travelers - July 9 – July 13 * 9AM-Noon * Ages 7 - 10
• Cape Fear Wild -July 16 – 20 * 9AM-Noon * Ages 9 & 10
• Museumology* - July 30 – August 3 * 9AM-Noon * Ages 11 - 14
• Dinos and More - August 6 – 10 * 9AM-Noon * Ages 5 & 6
Camp Fees: $70 for Museum members / $90 for non-members, Museumology $90 for Museum members / $110 for non-members. Descriptions available at www.capefearmuseum.com.
Summer Shorts – 2012 Themes - Cape Fear Museum Summer Shorts are hands-on adventures for groups of 10 or more children and their adult chaperones. "Shorts" are a great option for day care centers, year-round schools, home-school groups, as well as camps that are looking to supplement their activities with an educational component.
Programs are 60-minutes in length and appropriate for children ages 5–14. $6 per child. Call 910-798-4362 to register your group today!
Themes include: Cape Fear Indians, Bugs, Star Quest, and Toys and Games.
Cape Fear Museum of History and Science is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. General admission is $7 for adults; $6 for students with valid ID and senior citizens; $6 special military rate with valid military ID; $4 for children 3-17; and free for children under 3. Museum members are admitted free. New Hanover County residents’ free day is the first Sunday of each month. The Museum is located at 814 Market Street in historic downtown Wilmington, N.C.