- Published on Sunday, 08 July 2012 20:26
- Written by Super User
Patriotic destinations are especially popular during the week of July 4th . In recent years, Coastal Living magazine identified Wilmington, North Carolina among its “Top Spots to Celebrate the Fourth”. This year, visitors can experience a patriotic July 4th holiday in Wilmington, North Carolina’s historic river district and the island beaches of Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Wrightsville Beach. Independence Day celebrations begin on July 2nd with a “Stars & Stripes” concert by the North Carolina Symphony. On July 3rd there’s free live music and a fireworks display at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk. On July 4th , the City of Wilmington and the Battleship North Carolina will stage the annual July 4th Riverfront Celebration & Battleship Blast with live music from 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. along the Wilmington Riverwalk, followed by a choreographed fireworks display over the Battleship. Adults can enjoy July 4th dinner cruises with front-row seats for area fireworks displays. Families with small children can participate in special holiday activities at the Children’s Museum of Wilmington. On July 5th , catch some post-holiday fireworks and live music at Carolina Beach Boardwalk. Here’s a sampling of patriotic happenings from the river to the sea:
• JULY 3 & 5: Pleasure Island Fireworks Displays - On Tuesday evening, enjoy live music by Dutch Treet (70s music) on the Boardwalk Stage, followed by a patriotic fireworks display. Return on Thursday evening for more live music by Bald Fury (classic rock) and another free fireworks display! Make a weekend of your visit to Pleasure Island (Carolina Beach, Kure Beach). See the rare Venus Flytrap at Carolina Beach State Park; rent a kayak; see the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher’s new Adventure Reef outdoor play area; explore Civil War history at Fort Fisher State Historic Site; enjoy carnival-style rides and games at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk. Watch a free family movie on Sunday evening at Carolina Beach Lake. Details: 910-458-8434; www.visitcarolinabeachnc.com; www.pleasureislandnc.org.
• JULY 4th : JULY 4th Riverfront Celebration & Battleship Blast (an STS Top 20 Event). The riverfront celebration features live music by L-Shaped Lot (5:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.). At 9:05 p.m., the 16th Annual BATTLESHIP BLAST, among the largest fireworks display in the Carolinas, will illuminate the night sky over the Battleship North Carolina and the Cape Fear River. Best view of fireworks is from Downtown. For street fair and parking info: www.wilmingtonnc.gov/community_services/events_permits/special_events/4th_of_july.aspx. For details about fireworks: www.battleshipnc.com.
• JULY 4th : Family Independence Day Celebration. Spend the afternoon and evening at the Children’s Museum of Wilmington with extended hours until 8:30pm to enjoy patriotic activities, followed by fireworks on the riverfront. Come play at the museum before the fireworks begin. Order dinner or bring a picnic and enjoy special activities such as an air rocket challenge, firework paining, sound sandwich noisemakers, soda explosion experiments, and more. Admission charge. Children’s Museum of Wilmington, Downtown Wilmington. 910-254-3534; www.playwilmington.org
• JULY 4th : Winner Party Boat Cruise Royal Winner Princess II boards 6:30 p.m.;departs 7:00 p.m. from Carolina Beach Marina for a dinner cruise to see Southport’s July 4 fireworks show. Admission charge. Pre-paid reservations required. Carolina Beach Marina, Carolina Beach. 910-458-5356; www.winnerboats.com.