- Published on Sunday, 22 July 2012 23:23
- Written by Super User
Night at the Museum
Explore life after dark in the Lower Cape Fear as you creep through Cape Fear Museum on Saturday, July 28 from 6:00-10:00 PM. The following events will be offered at the Museum that night: Examine patterns in the night sky and make your own glow-in-the-dark constellation; Where do reptiles and amphibians sleep? Find out and meet live critters from the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher’s “Bedtime for Wildlife” program; What do snakes and tree frogs do at nighttime? Learn their habits as you explore an exciting collection of live creatures from the North Carolina Herpetology Society; How does sound travel? UNCW’s Watson School of Education CESTEM will help you experiment and discover the principles of sound; Area expert “Dr. Rocks” and his team from Cape Fear Community College’s Geology Department will showcase rocks, gems, and local fossils. Take home a little piece of the world beneath you!; Summertime brings sea turtles to the coast to lay their eggs. Learn about these protected marine reptiles and their connection to local beaches with Wrightsville Beach and Pleasure Island sea turtle projects; Think bats are creepy and scary? Discover the vital role they play in our ecosystem with Dr. Webster of the UNCW Biology Department; Settle down for a cozy read with bedtime stories from New Hanover Public Library.
Satisfy your sweet tooth – Fuzzy Peach will be on-site with their frozen yogurt bar! Cups are $3.50 each. Admission is $3 for members and $6 for non-members. Night at the Museum is sponsored by Time Warner Cable’s Connect a Million Minds initiative. For more information about science activities in your town, visit connect amillionminds.com.
Camp Spots Available
A summer of adventure and education awaits your child at Cape Fear Museum. Museum Summer Camps teach kids that science and history are FUN! Camps are geared towards children 5-14 and provide hands-on fun while offering engaging opportunities to learn about the history and science of the Lower Cape Fear region.
The museum has spots available in these exciting and interesting week-long camps:
• In Museumology*, (July 30 – August 3) campers ages 11-14 design their own exhibit for Cape Fear Museum by selecting artifacts and telling their stories.
• In Dinos & More, (August 6 – 10) for ages 5-6, children discover the answers to everything they ever wanted to know about dinosaurs: from size and shape to names and features, try comparing prehistoric fossils and meeting their modern relatives. Summer camps are half day, running from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM. Weekly camp fees are $70 for Museum members and $90 for non-members. *Museumology is $90 for Museum members and $110 for non-members. Camp dates and registration forms are available at the Museum or online at www.capefearmuseum.com. Completed forms must be printed, signed and mailed, including full payment to: Cape Fear Museum, 814 Market Street, Wilmington, NC 28401-4731. For more information, call 910-798-4362.
July/August 2012 Programs
• Learning Center - In the Learning Center on Saturdays, the whole family can conduct experiments, explore artifacts, play fun games, and create exciting tools and toys to take home. Parental participation is required.
- July - Play! Saturday, July 21 from 1-4 PM for all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Hopscotch your way to the finish line and explore games that pirates played. Play the oldest known game and compete in Museum Bingo. Compare modern and historic toys. Investigate the inventive process by creating your own toys and games to take home.
- August - Dynamic Dinosaurs - Saturday, August 4, 11, 18, 25 from 1-4 PM for all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Dinosaurs big and small; come meet them all! Dig for fossils that you can take home and find out what a T. rex tooth looks like up close. Discover why Wilmington’s Giant Ground Sloth and the pterodactyl are not dinosaurs. Measure some well-known dinosaurs and make an Apatosaurus model to take home.
• Cape Fear Skies - 3-2-1-Blast off! Cape Fear Skies offers your family a realistic planetarium experience the third Sunday of each month. Venture into outer space as you hear mythical tales and explore stars, planets, and more. Parental participation is required.
- August - Sky Mapping - Sunday, August 19 from 1:30, 2:30 & 3:30 PM for all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Discover how to use a planisphere to locate objects in the night sky.
• Museum Carts - Explore artifacts, conduct experiments, and play fun games at facilitated carts stationed throughout the Museum. Activities and locations vary – What exciting cart will you encounter on your visit? Date: Sunday, August 5 from 1-3 PM for all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission.
• Family Event - Night at the Museum - Saturday, July 28 from 6-10 PM for all ages. Fee: $3 for members; $6 for non-members. Cape Fear Museum comes alive at night! Join us for Night at the Museum, a fun-filled summer evening exploring the Lower Cape Fear region after dark. Meet nocturnal animals. Examine the night sky. Be amazed as you encounter the sights and sounds of our nighttime world! Sponsored by Time Warner Cable Connect A Million Minds.
• Special Event - Grown-up Game Night - August 17 from 7-10 PM. Fee: $5 for members; $7 for non-members; Memberships available on game night. Bring some friends, grab some appetizers and a seat, and get your game on! Try your hand at new and old favorites—from Battleship to Spades to brand new games. Admission includes access to great games (instructions if needed!), snacks and drinks, and a visit to the Museum’s Toys and Games exhibit. Games provided by Cape Fear Museum, Cape Fear Games, and Learning Express.
• Summer Camps – 2012 Offerings - Cape Fear Museum Summer Camps provide an avenue for children 5-14 to engage in fun, hands-on learning about the history and natural science of the Lower Cape Fear.
- Museumology* - July 30 – August 3 * 9AM-Noon * Ages 11 - 14
- Dinos and More - August 6 – 10 * 9AM-Noon * Ages 5 & 6
Camp Fees: $70 for Museum members / $90 for non-members; Museumology $90 for Museum members / $110 for non-members. Descriptions available at www.capefearmuseum.com.
Summer Shorts – 2012 Themes - Cape Fear Museum Summer Shorts are hands-on adventures for groups of 10 or more children and their adult chaperones. "Shorts" are a great option for day care centers, year-round schools, home-school groups, as well as camps that are looking to supplement their activities with an educational component. Programs are 60-minutes in length and appropriate for children ages 5–14. $6 per child. Call 910-798-4362 to register your group today! Themes include: Cape Fear Indians, Bugs, Star Quest, and Toys and Games.
Cape Fear Museum of History and Science is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. General admission is $7 for adults; $6 for students with valid ID and senior citizens; $6 special military rate with valid military ID; $4 for children 3-17; and free for children under 3. Museum members are admitted free. New Hanover County residents’ free day is the first Sunday of each month. The Museum is located at 814 Market Street in historic downtown Wilmington, N.C.