- Published on Sunday, 16 September 2012 20:39
- Written by Super User
• Saturday, October 6 - 9:00 AM: Meet at the Deep Point Marina in Southport if you wish to visit Price’s Creek Lighthouse. This is not a trip for the faint- hearted! It is only a 5- minute journey from the marina, but there is a short hike through the marsh to get to solid ground. It will involve getting off a flat-nose or pontoon boat and back on as well. There will be a fee for the trip in addition to the registration for the weekend, but we will keep it to a minimum.
• 12:00 NOON: Picnic lunch at Federal Point History Center in Carolina Beach. Subs and sandwiches by Charlie’s Boardwalk Subs. You may choose your lunch from charliesboardwalksubs.com/menu/ The afternoon will be spent at the Federal Point History Center. 12:45: John Golden will present stories and songs from the history of our local region.
• 1:30: “The Lost Lights of the Cape Fear” presentation by OBLHS members and Wilmington residents Rebecca Taylor and Gayle Keresey.
• 2:30: “Bringing Home the Light” presentation by Old Baldy Foundation. We will learn of the Foundation’s plans to build a new museum to house the Cape Fear lens and of its long journey to Bald Head Island. Evening: Dinner time and place TBA We will go dutch, perhaps together in a local eatery.
• Sunday, October 7 7:00-10:00AM: Light breakfast in the Club Room of the Atlantic Towers Condos. Coffee, tea, fruit and hearty breads/pastries will be provided for a farewell breakfast. Registration for the full conference is $95.00. That includes the cruise and dinner on the Winner Princess II but not the cost of lunch on Saturday or the cost of the trip to Price’s Creek Lighthouse. Just the dinner cruise is $65.00. Price for the Price’s Creek light is still under negotiation and will be collected at the boat dock on Saturday. You can also sign up for each day separately. Non-members please add $25 (or $35 for family); $20 for seniors-65 or older (or $30 for senior family). This includes a one year membership. For more information and the registration form go to www.outerbankslighthousesociety.org/events.html.
Federal Point Historic Preservation Society
Events Calendar, Fall 2012
• Sunday September 30, 2012: ISLAND DAY 1:00-5:00. At the Carolina Beach Lake. Join us for a fun day of “letdown” now that the height of tourist season is over.
• Monday October 15, 2012: Membership Meeting. 7:30-9:00 pm. Local author, and Society member Elaine Henson will bring us her picture history on the building of the Intracoastal Waterway, from Wrightsville Beach to the South Carolina line. It was far more than just Snow’s Cut.
• Saturday November 3, 2012: Snack Sales. We will be selling food and beverages at the History Center from 8:45 – 2:00. Join us for a hotdog or homemade dessert.
• Monday, November 19, 2012: Membership Meeting. 7:30-9:00 pm. Author and local historian Jack Fryar will join us to talk about the Yellow Fever epidemic that hit Wilmington in 1862. Did the blockade runner Kate bring the disease? How did the city cope? A Confederate soldier described the scene in a letter to his mother: “The reported appearance of this deadly contagion… created a tremendous panic in the city. The citizens were leaving by scores and hundreds in every manner of conveyance that could be obtained.”
All programs are free and open to the general public. They are held at the Federal Point History Center, 1121-A North Lake Park Blvd. (Just south of the Carolina Beach Town Hall.) Or visit the History Center, open Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays 10-4. For more information call: 910-458-0502. www.federalpointhistory.org
You’re invited to Join Us! The Outer Banks Lighthouse Society will be holding its annual conference October 5-7 here on Federal Point. The focus will primarily be on the Federal Point Lighthouse and Price’s Creek Light. OBLHS Annual Keepers’ Weekend Itinerary October 5-7, 2012 (schedule subject to change) OBLHS has visited the Cape Fear area surrounding Southport only once. This region is steeped in Civil War history including the importance that lighthouses played during this time. We are fortunate to have been given permission by the Archer Daniels Midland Corporation to visit Price’s Creek Front Range Lighthouse which rests on their private property. They do not grant permission freely and we are one, if not the only, organization they have given permission to visit. This can be done only by boat. You will learn more details of the trip below. We have some wonderful entertaining speakers and activities planned for the weekend and hope that you will join us!
• Friday, Oct. 5. 1:00 PM: Nathan Henry will talk about the excavation of the Federal Point Lighthouse at the Underwater Archaeological Lab.
2:00: Jim Steele will meet our group at the site of the Federal Point Lighthouse
2:30: Ray Flowers will lead a walk of the Fort Fisher Historic Site grounds. 5:15: Winner Boat Princess II in Carolina Beach for a dinner cruise! We will be guided down the Cape Fear River by Leslie Bright. During this time we may roam the ship’s decks and still be able to hear Leslie’s tales and history. You may wish to visit the Keepers’ Store and view silent auction items and gift baskets at this time as well.
6:30(ish): We will have a brief members’ meeting on the dining deck. We will have our raffle drawing and the giving of awards before dinner which will be followed by a short and lively auction of several wonderful mementoes of the area and of OBLHS. Winners of the silent auction will be named.