- Published on Sunday, 07 October 2012 19:32
- Written by Super User
• Learning Center - In the Learning Center on Saturdays, the whole family can conduct experiments, explore artifacts, play fun games, and create exciting tools and toys to take home. Parental participation is required.
- October – Astronomy Adventures - Dates: Saturday, October 6, 13, 27 from 1-4 PM. For all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Why does the moon appear to change shape? Why does Earth have seasons? Blast off on a journey through the universe and explore planets, stars, the moon and other celestial bodies. Create your own constellation, build and use a star map, and discover the reason for the seasons!
• Cape Fear Skies - 3-2-1-Blast off! Cape Fear Skies offers your family a realistic planetarium experience the third Sunday of each month. Venture into outer space as you hear mythical tales and explore stars, planets, and more. Parental participation is required.
- October - Mythical Monsters - Date: Sunday, October 21, Times: 1:30, 2:30 & 3:30 PM. For all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. See the night sky and find out about the mythological creatures ancient peoples saw in the stars.
• Museum Carts - Explore artifacts, conduct experiments, and play fun games at facilitated carts stationed throughout the Museum. Activities and locations vary – What exciting cart will you encounter on your visit? Date: Sunday, October 7th from 1-3 PM. For all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission
• Adult Programming - Fragments of War Tour, Thursday, October 18 from 7:00 – 8:30 PM. Fee: $5 for Museum members, $7 for non-members; Memberships available on program day. What kinds of experiences did people have during the Civil War? How did flags come to be such powerful symbols? Find out answers to these questions and more with Cape Fear Museum Curator Barbara Rowe and Historian Jan Davidson. Hear more about some of the Museum’s rarely-seen Civil War artifacts, including flags, uniforms, documents and the stories they can tell. Space is limited to 30 people, so register early.
• Family Event - Science Spooktacular - Saturday, October 20, from 6-10 PM. Fee: $3 for members, $6 for non-members; Memberships available on event day. Celebrate the chills and thrills of the season at Cape Fear Museum’s Science Spooktacular. Unleash your inner mad scientist as you create concoctions that bubble, glow, or even smoke! Take a spooky tour to explore skeletons, weird weather, and more!
*Appropriate for all ages. Sponsored by Connect A Million Minds.
New Hours! Beginning September 10, the Museum will resume its fall/winter hours and will be closed on Mondays. Cape Fear Museum of History and Science is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. General admission is $7 for adults; $6 for students with valid ID and senior citizens; $6 special military rate with valid military ID; $4 for children 3-17; and free for children under 3. Museum members are admitted free. New Hanover County residents’ free day is the first Sunday of each month. The Museum is located at 814 Market Street in historic downtown Wilmington, N.C.