- Published on Wednesday, 14 November 2012 20:59
- Written by Super User
Learning Center - In the Learning Center on Saturdays, the whole family can conduct experiments, explore artifacts, play fun games, and create exciting tools and toys to take home. Parental participation is required.
• November – Cape Fear Indians - Dates: Saturday, November 10, 17, 24 from 1-4 PM for All Ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Who were the first inhabitants of the Lower Cape Fear region? Examine local Native American pot shards and make your own clay pot to take home. Learn about Cape Fear Indians’ early hunting and fishing. Make shell jewelry and play a Native American game.
• December – Explore the Civil War - Dates: Saturday, December 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 from 1-4 PM for All ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. What was life like in the 1860’s? Investigate the contents of a Civil War soldier’s haversack and consider how the items compare to your own daily life needs. Try on reproduction Civil War clothing and play a Blockade Runner board game.
• Cape Fear Skies - 3-2-1-Blast off! Cape Fear Skies offers your family a realistic planetarium experience the third Sunday of each month. Venture into outer space as you hear mythical tales and explore stars, planets, and more. Parental participation is required.
• November - Native American Myths and Legends - Date: Sunday, November 18, Times: 1:30, 2:30 & 3:30 PM for all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Explore the night sky while listening to Native American star-inspired stories.
• December- Earth, Moon, and Sun. Date: Sunday, December 16, Times: 1:30, 2:30 & 3:30 PM. For all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission. Explore how Earth, the moon, and the sun work together to create eclipses, moon phases, and more.
• Museum Carts - Explore artifacts, conduct experiments, and play fun games at facilitated carts stationed throughout the Museum. Activities and locations vary – What exciting cart will you encounter on your visit? Date: Sunday, November 4 and Sunday, December 2 from 1-3 PM for all ages. Fee: Free for members or with Museum admission.
• Adult Programs - Pub Trivia at Copper Penny. Date: Wednesday, November 14 at 8 pm. Location: 109 Chestnut Street, Downtown Wilmington
Calling all science buffs, culture gurus, and history lovers! Bring your friends to Copper Penny and test your knowledge of the Cape Fear Region. Expect questions drawn from local history, regional science, and museum exhibits. Join us for some cold beer, cool science, and free history!
• Grown-up Game Night - Date: Friday, December 7 from 7-10:00 PM. Fee: $5 for members; $7 for non-members. Take a break from holiday shopping and get your game on! Try your hand at new and old favorites—from Battleship to Spades to brand new games. Admission includes access to great games (instructions if needed!), snacks and drinks, and a visit to the Museum’s galleries.