- Published on Wednesday, 26 February 2014 19:20
- Written by Super User
Pleasure Island Calendar of Events for 2013
• February 22 - 2014 Special Olympics Polar Plunge (341-5876)
• March 15 - 10th Annual Steve Haydu St. Patrick’s Lo-Tide Run (910-368-9523)
• March 28-29 - Suncoast Cruiser “Back to the Beach” Car Show (910-707-0060)
• April 5 - Island Of Lights Fashion Show (910-617-5945)
• April 12 - 18th Annual Chowder Cook-Off (458-8434)
• April 26 - 7th Annual Kure Beach Annual Street Festival (910-458-8216)
• May 9 - 16th Annual Cape Fear Disabled Sportsman Fishing Tournament (910-368-7077)
• May 17-18 - 21st Annual Seaside Soccer Classic (910-392-0306)
• May 11 – Oct 4 - Carolina Beach Farmer’s Market every Saturday (910-431-8122)
• June – August - Weekly Movies at the Lake Every Sunday (910-458-8434)
• June – August - Weekly Fireworks on the Beach Every Thursday (910-458-8434)
• June – August - Free Summer Concerts 2nd & 4th Fridays (910-458-8434)
• June – August - Weekly Boardwalk Music Every Thursday (910-458-8434)
• June 7 - 29th Annual Beach Music Festival (910-458-8434)
• June 10 – Aug 26 - Kure Beach Open Air Market (910-458-8216)
• July 3 - Independence Day Fireworks (910-458-8434)
• July 10-13 - East Coast Got Em‘ On Classic King Mackerel Tournament (910-470-1374)
• August 23 - Miss P.I. Beauty Pageant (910-458-5962)
• September 12 & 13 - Carolina Beach In-Shore Challenge (910-352-0603)
• October 11 & 12 - 21st Annual Seafood, Blues and Jazz Festival (910-458-8434)
• October 17-19 - 8th Annual Pleasure Island Surf Fishing Challenge (910-352-0603)
• October 18 - 6th Annual Salty Paws Festival (910-458-3266)
• November 28 - Island of Lights Light Up Celebration at the Lake (910-458-5507)
• Nov 28 thru Dec 20 - 6th Annual Christmas by the Sea (Carolina Beach Boardwalk) (910-470-8666)
• December 5 - Island of Lights Christmas Parade (910-458-5507)
• December 6 - Island of Lights Flotilla (910-458-0211)
• December 12, 13 & 14 - Kure Beach Fantasy Christmas Show (910-279-0459)
• December 13 - Island of Lights Tour of Homes (910-458-5506)
• December 31 - Island of Lights New Year’s Eve Countdown held in Kure Beach
Tickets for the Island of Lights Fashion Show available March 1st
If you plan on attending the upcoming Fashion Show, please purchase your tickets early. The number will be limited to around 100 and we don’t want anyone to miss out on this spring event. The annual show presents fashions for the new spring and summer seasons and is the major fundraiser for the Island of Lights organization.
This Pleasure Island group is responsible for these Holiday Events on the Island: Light up the Lake Celebration, Christmas Parade, Holiday Flotilla, Holiday Tour of Homes and the New Year’s Celebration. This year's Fashion Show will be held on Saturday, April 5th, from 11 am to 2 pm, at the Carolina Beach American Legion Post No. 129, 1500 Bridge Barrier Road.
Fashions featured will be from touché, Unique Boutique and CB Surf Shop.
Lunch will be catered by Middle of the Island, and in addition there will be a Silent Auction, Raffle and a Spring Hat Contest. This year’s Show is dedicated to Mary Lee Farlow, a long time member of the Island of Lights who recently passed away. Mary Lee always worked with the Models at the Fashion Show, and will be greatly missed.
Tickets for the event will be on sale at the following businesses in Carolina Beach: Unique Boutique, CB Surf shop, and touché. The price is a $25 donation with all proceeds supporting the Island of Lights group.The ticket deadline for purchase is March 31st. Don’t forget to wear your Spring Hat!
For information call Linda Cheshire at 910-617-5945.
9-mile hike through the townships of Carolina Beach and Kure Beach
Marines and sailors with General Support Maintenance Company, 2nd Maintenance Battalion, Combat Logistics Regiment 25, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, are scheduled to conduct a nine-mile hike through the townships of Carolina Beach and Kure Beach, at 9 a.m., Feb. 27.
The purpose of the event is to train and educate the Marines of GSM Company about the Civil War battle of Fort Fisher and allow them to walk in the footsteps of those who have fought and laid down their lives for this great country. The route of the hike will follow the approximate axis of advance where Brig. Gen. Amos led the Federal Infantry in 1865 during the Second Battle for Fort Fisher.
The Marines are expected to travel on Old Dow Road, Harper Avenue, Seventh Street South, Clarendon Avenue through Carolina Beach State Park, and Lake Park Boulevard. Citizens and visitors of Carolina Beach and Kure Beach are invited to observe GSM Company conducting the hike, and we ask that you remain at a safe distance in order to not impede troop movement.
There will likely be a disruption in traffic flow on the day of the hike. We ask citizens and visitors of Carolina Beach and Kure Beach to prepare for delays and plan routes accordingly. For media interested in attending the event or wish to acquire additional information, please use the contact information provided above to contact a 2nd MLG Public Affairs representative.
Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce 2014 FREE Sunday Night Summer Movies at the Carolina Beach Lake
The weather is getting warmer, the plans are being made…The Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce in conjunction with the generous support of the Town of Carolina Beach, proudly announce this years selection for the FREE Sunday Night Movies at the Carolina Beach Lake. As always, we have selected Family-friendly movies for the enjoyment of all of our residents and tourists alike. Our FREE Movie season runs from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day weekend for a total of 15 selections for your enjoyment.
We kick off the season with Disney’s FROZEN (PG-2013) on May 25th, followed by TOM & JERRY’s ROBIN HOOD and his MERRY MOUSE (PG-2012) on June 1st. The true-life adventure BIG MIRACLE (2012-PG) will be on June 8th followed on June 15th by the ever-popular DESPICABLE ME 2 (PG-2013). On June 22nd, we are very proud to present the highly acclaimed Disney’s SAVING MR. BANKS (PG13 – 2013) exploring the making of Mary Poppins! On June 29th, we will present MONSTERS UNIVERSITY (PG 2012) followed by our Independence Day weekend selection with this years’ NUT JOB (PG 2014). Halfway through our summer season on July 13th, we present the greatest Turkey Movie of all time – FREE BIRDS (PG 2013) followed by Disney’s SUPER BUDDIES (G 2013) on July 20th. For our tenth selection of the season, we offer the environmental sensitive HOOT (PG 2006) on July 27th followed by this years’ popular THE LEGO MOVIE (PG 2014) on August 3rd. For all of our turtle lovers, we offer up A TURTLE TALE’S 2: SAMMY’S ESCAPE FROM PARADISE (PG 2012) on August 10th followed by TAD THE LOST EXPLORER (PG 2012) on August 17th. This year’s Classic Night on August 24th will feature the 1961 Best Picture Acadamy Award winner WEST SIDE STORY. We closeout the season on Labor Day Weekend (August 31st) with Disney’s soon-to-be classic PLANES (PG 2013).
We are happy to offer popcorn, candy, soft drinks, cotton candy, and more for sale at the movies - and all for a reasonable price! You're welcome to bring your own food and beverages as well. Directions: Once you cross Snow's Cut Bridge the Carolina Beach Lake is approximately 1 1/4 miles on your right Movies start at dusk (around 8:45). Movies are subject to change and are weather permitting.
Back to the Beach Classic Car Parade & Car Show March 28th for the Parade & Show 29th
The Sun Coast Cruisers are headed “Back to the Beach” for there Annual Car Show, Cruise-In and Parade. Festivities will kick-off this Friday, March 28th with a Classic Car Parade beginning at the Carolina Beach Food Lion. The parade will start at 6:30pm and end at the Fort Fisher Air Force Recreation Are in Kure Beach. On Saturday March 29th the main event will take place. Starting at 9:00 a.m. and running until 4:00 p.m. (rain or shine) at the Fort Fisher Military Recreation Center the Car Show will showcase all of the beautiful cars and give the owners a chance to win prizes.
Prizes will be given out to the top vehicles; dash plaques will be given out to 1st 150 and specialty awards will also be given. In addition to all of the prizes given out to those who are in the car show there will also be a 50/50 drawing, raffles, Live music by the “Coco Loco Band” and door prizes available to everyone in attendance. If you would like to find out more about the Sun Coast Cruisers Club and the Back to the Beach 2014 Car Show please visit them on the web at http://www.suncoastcruisers.com, facebook or give them a call at (910) 707-0060.
American Legion Auxiliary will be holding its first Spring Craft Show on March 29th
The American Legion Auxiliary will be holding its first Spring Craft Show on March 29, 2014, at the American Legion Post 129 pavilion building on Carolina Beach. The address is 1500 Bridge Barrier Road in Carolina Beach (behind the Food Lion). Hours for the craft show will be 10 to 4. Come on out and get an early start on your Easter, Mother's Day, or springtime shopping with a wide variety of items from local crafters/artisans. For directions or questions call 910-458-9155. Thank you very much for your assistance Kate Cooper 910-458-9155
Kiwanis Club 3rd Annual Spring Summer Rummage Sale
The Kiwanis Club of Wilmington is conducting a Spring Rummage Sale on Saturday, March 25, 2014 from 8:00am to 2:00pm at the Brigade Boys and Girls Club, 2759 Vance Street in Wilmington. The event is free and open to the public. Shop for tools, toys, clothes, fishing gear, electronics, sporting goods, small appliances, and much more. Participants can purchase items or sell their own by renting a space for $15.00.
Those wishing to donate items for the club to sell can drop them off on Saturday, March 15 in the parking lots at Lowes Foods at Monkey Junction or BB&T at Hanover Center on Oleander Dr. from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.
For information call Jamie at 352-7334 or go to http://www.wilmingtonkiwanis.org
Cameron Art Museum News: Upcoming Events Calender
• MUSEUM HOURS - Open Tuesday thru Sunday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, Thursday Open Late 10:00 am to 9:00 pm. CAM Café hours: Tuesday thru Saturday 11:00 am to 3:00 pm and Sunday 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, Thursday evening dinner, 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Reservations are appreciated and suggested: 910.777.2363. Holiday closing for Museum and CAM Café: Dec. 24 & 25 and Jan. 1. NOTE: Cameron Art Museum online domain and email accounts will now be .org, so cameronartmuseum.org is the website address and all email will follow this same domain of .org beginning January 1, 2014. This reflects our ongoing non-profit designation.
• MUSEUM SCHOOL CLASSES AND WORKSHOPS OPEN REGISTRATION NOW: www.cameronart museum.com/museumschool. Sign up for 6 week classes and/or 1 to 2-Day workshops in drawing, painting, mixed media, photography, art history, copper repousse and artistic journal keeping. Beginners are always welcome to sign up! For more information contact Keith Butler at 910.395.5999 ext. 1008.
• PUBLIC PROGRAMS:
- GROUP SINGING: Wilmington Sacred Harp Singers - Sunday Dec. 29, 2013
- NEW! 1:30 pm Instruction for beginners and 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Songbooks provided, beginners welcome! Free and open to the public, donations appreciated
- Weyerhaeuser Reception Hall - Wilmington Sacred Harp Singers presents a traditional Sacred Harp Singing and invite you to join in the music. This dynamic form of a cappella social singing dates back to Colonial America, using a modern reprint of an 1844 songbook called The Sacred Harp. Sacred Harp and related shape-note styles are the oldest continuous singing traditions in the United States. Surviving as a living tradition in parts of the South, notably Georgia and Alabama, Sacred Harp music has been discovered by new generations of singers who have spread the heritage across North America and to Australia and Europe. The music is loud, vigorous and intense. It is meant to be sung, not just observed. No previous experience is necessary. Learn more about Sacred Harp singing at fasola.org and this singing at http://bit.ly/WilmNCSacredHarp. Held in collaboration with WHQR.
- JAZZ @ THE CAM Series - A concert series by the Cameron Art Museum and the Cape Fear Jazz Society (www.capefearjazzsociety.org) September 2013 – April 2014 from 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
- 1st Thursday of each month - CAM, Weyerhaeuser Reception Hall Individual: CAM/CFJS Members: $8.00 Non-members: $12.00 Students: $5.00 with valid ID The fourth season of the popular seven concert series offers a mixture of new and familiar musicians performing a range of jazz genres for your listening pleasure. Purchase seats on CAM’s website: www.cameronartmuseum.org, by phone or at the door.
*Special 2nd Thursday date
MIDDAY RETREAT! HOLIDAY SCHEDULE: Meet again beginning Wed., Jan. 8! Yoga and T’ai Chi at the Cameron Art Museum. Yoga: Thursday-Midday, noon to 1:00 pm, Friday, 5:30 to 6:30 pm. T’ai Chi: Wednesday-Midday, noon to 1:00 pm - Join in a soothing retreat sure to charge you up while you relax in a beautiful, comfortable setting. These sessions are ongoing and are open to beginner and experienced participants. cameronartmuseum.org/healthyliving
CAM CAFÉ - Come sample CAM Café’s new fall lunch menu of fresh and seasonal delights 11:00 am - 3:00 pm Tuesday - Saturday, Thursday Dinner 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm and Sunday Brunch 10:00 am - 3:00 pm. Stop by and enjoy drinks, appetizers, or a great meal. Every Thursday evening Chef Jessica Cabo creates specialty dishes with organic ingredients from NC farms. Reservations are appreciated and suggested: 910.777.2363. Visit http://camcafe.org to see the new lunch offerings.
EXHIBITIONS at the CAM: Diane Landry: The Cadence of All Things On View thru January 12, 2014. Diane Landry (Canadian, b. 1958) is one of Canada's foremost installation artists: her work is exhibited throughout Canada, the United States and Europe. The artist employs everyday objects, sound, light and shadow in her evocative constructions. Her inspiration is the rhythms of the world. From Earth’s orbit around the sun providing cycle of seasons, to the planet’s rotation, creating the periodicity of day and night, to the very beat of the human heart, with systolic and diastolic movements of blood, existence is about the cadences of all things. Cadence includes work created 1992- 2013. CAM-organized with exhibition catalogue.
Art Among Friends: Four Collections of American Art - Nov. 23 thru Feb. 16, 2014. The exhibition features paintings and drawings from four private collections in North Carolina showing the evolution during 1880s-1940s of painting in America. This lush exhibition includes work by John Singer Sargent, Childe Hassam, William Merritt Chase, Robert Henri, John Sloan, Milton Avery and other prominent American Impressionists and Urban Realists. Curated by Jonathan Stuhlman, Senior Curator of American, Modern, and Contemporary Art at the Mint Museum in Charlotte and organized by the Blowing Rock Art & History Museum.
Cameron Art Museum Galleries Open on Thursday Evenings. Open late Thursday Evenings until 9:00 pm .CAM Members: NO COST | Non-Members: $8 | Students w/id $5, Seniors and Active Military | Children 2-12 $3. Join friends or bring the family and enjoy viewing current exhibitions in the Hughes Wing and Brown Wing each week.
ABOUT THE CAMERON ART MUSEUM: Cameron Art Museum is located at the corner of South 17th Street and Independence Boulevard in Wilmington, NC. Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 am- 5:00 pm, Thursday: 10:00 am –9:00 pm, Museum admission is: Museum members no cost $8 Non-members $5 Students with valid student identification card, active military (with ID) and Seniors (65+) $3 Children age 2 -12 For updated information on programs, exhibitions, classes and events, visit http://www.cameronartmuseum.org or call 910.395.5999.
Federal Point Historic Preservation Society: Up Coming Meetings
CAROLINA BEACH -
• Monday, March 17, 2014: Membership Meeting. 7:30-9:00 pm. Richard Neal, owner of the Frying Pan Light Tower will share some video clips and images of the facility over the years as well as during the current restoration.
Monday April 21, 2014: Membership Meeting. 7:30-9:00 pm Civil War historian, Chris Fonvielle, will talk about his new book: Faces Of Fort Fisher:1861-1864. Copies of the book will be available for sale and signing by Chris.
Monday May 19, 2014: Membership Meeting. 7:30-900 pm. Daniel Norris, publisher and author, will talk about his new book on the iconic Boardwalk establishment, Britt’s. Copies of the book will be available for sale and signing by Daniel.
Monday June 17, 2014: Potluck Picnic. 6:30 – 8:30 pm Summer Potluck/Picnic. The perfect time to bring friends and prospective members. ALSO UPCOMING! Saturday, March 22, 2014 Walking Tour of “The Sugar Loaf Line of Defense” with Dr. Chris Fonvielle 2pm-4pm. $5.00 donation requested. Limit of 25 participants. Meet at the Federal Point History Center. 1121-A N Lake Park Blvd. Carolina Beach, North Carolina. Call 910-458-0502 to reserve your place. ALL PROGRAMS ARE FREE AND OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. They are held at the Federal Point History Center, 1121-A North Lake Park Blvd. (Just south of the Carolina Beach Town Hall)
Carolina Beach Weight Watchers Club Starting on Monday’s
Getting ready for summer and trying to find that perfect bathing suit? Or, just simply trying to lose weight, well you have come to the right place. Welcoming to Carolina Beach is our very own Weight Watchers Club. Starting every Monday at 12:00 noon, the Weight Watchers Club will be holding meetings at Carolina Beach Presbyterian Church.
Weight Watchers new program helps you lose weight that some think could be impossible to lose, but with the help of the consultants and the leaders, they will guide you into a new body and a new you.
Attention Pleasure Island Poets!
We are now accepting poems for the first annual Pleasure Island Poetry Anthology Submission Deadline: April 20, 2014. Topic: Anything related to Pleasure Island - Beach Living, Nature, History, etc. Selected poems will be compiled into an anthology that will be published for the Summer 2014 season. We would like to have anthologies available for purchase at local businesses for a fee of $5.00 to help cover the cost of publishing and distribution. All proceeds will go toward the promotion, printing, and distribution of the Anthology. eFormats (such as a Kindle version) will also be explored and made available if possible.
Our primary goal is to celebrate the creativity of poets on Pleasure Island. All entries for the first edition will be limited to residents or part-time residents of the Island. A panel of volunteers will make the final decision on which poems will be included based on availability of space – we will try to be as inclusive as possible. Please understand that this is a volunteer effort and that we will be learning as we go on how to best celebrate poetry on Pleasure Island. ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION MUST BE INCLUDED ON A COVER PAGE or EMAIL WITH YOUR SUBMISSION. Please type it and proofread it. It is very important that the information you provide us is correct. If, for any reason, you think that your email address may change in the coming months, please provide us with an alternate email so that you will be sure to receive any GOOD NEWS that we may be sending you!
Your FULL NAME, Your PRIMARY EMAIL ADDRESS, Your STATE & COUNTRY LIST TITLES of the poems you are submitting (up to 2): Title 1, Title 2. PROVIDE PERMISSION FOR PLEASURE ISLAND POETRY ANTHOLOGY TO PUBLISH YOUR WORK IN OUR 2014 POETRY ANTHOLOGY should it be selected: I hereby give Pleasure Island Poetry Anthology permission to publish the poems I have submitted (titles listed above) should they be selected as part of the 2014 Pleasure Island Poetry Anthology. I understand that the 2014 Pleasure Island Poetry Anthology may be copyrighted in the United States by Pleasure Island Poetry Anthology as a COLLECTION OF SELECTED POETRY, and that I will retain all individual rights to my works outside of that collection. PRINT YOUR FULL NAME, SIGN YOUR FULL NAME, DATE. OPTIONAL: Your WEBSITE URL may also be included if you have one. Your website information will be published if you provide it—so please include it if you would like that information available to readers. STAPLE your completed cover page and poems together if you are submitting via mail. Your cover page should be on top, followed by your poems.
3rd Annual “Pets Rock” Fundraiser & Silent Auction
The doctors and staff of Atlantic Animal Hospital & Pet Care Resort (AAHPCR) are hosting the 3rd Annual “Pets Rock” Fundraiser & Silent Auction benefiting Coastal Animal Rescue Effort (CARE) for New Hanover County’s homeless animals in medical need. The lively event will be held on Friday, March 21st, 7:00pm at the Terraces on Sir Tyler Drive across from Wilmington’s Mayfaire Town Center. Local television celebrity, Frances Weller will emcee the festivities. For a $40 per person donation, guests will enjoy culinary contributions from favorite local restaurants like Szechuan 132 and Terrazzo’s, live musical entertainment by Mezza Voce, all while bidding on great items from Torri/Bell, Seagrass Salon and Day Spa, Orbita, Silver Coast Winery and many more.
ABOUT CARE - Atlantic Animal Hospital formed the entirely volunteer based 501(c)(3) Coastal Animal Rescue Effort (CARE) to provide the resources to treat injured or ill homeless and rescued animals until they are well enough to be placed up for adoption. While there are many excellent non-profit groups in our community that rescue and re-home dogs and cats, they lack the funds and facilities to treat rescued animals with serious illness or injuries. An inordinate number of animals are euthanized every year, not only because there are not enough people willing or able to adopt a rescue animal, but also due to the lack of medical care available to homeless animals. CARE’s immediate goal is to expand services to help more animals in need. This estimated $2 million endeavor includes future plans to build the first and only veterinarian run, no-kill animal shelter in Eastern North Carolina.
A Charity Benefit for Meals on Wheels coming up in June
Presenting American Music Award Winner and Multi-Platinum Artist RANDY JONES, AKA: Original Village People Cowboy. “He is one of the most beloved entertainers and pop icons from the Disco era. The Cowboy in the Village People has captured the public imagination for decades.” He has earned 65 Gold and Platinum record certificates, toured worldwide, starred in the camp classic film, “Can’t Stop The Music”, made the cover of the Rolling Stone Magazine and in 2008, garnered a star on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame. Randy Jones looks forward to this event each year being that he was born and raised in Raleigh, North Carolina and loves Carolina Beach so he is donating his time and talent to help out the homebound elderly! We are having a two-day event this year which will include a Disco Night at the Lazy Pirate, 701 N. Lake Park Blvd Carolina Beach where there will be a “Disco Night Meet and Greet” with a silent auction. Come dressed to impress in your disco attire. There will be prizes all night! Our sponsors will be recognized during this event beginning at 7:00 pm on Friday evening.
Azalea Coast USA Dance Monthly Social Dance & Lesson March 8th
Greetings! AZALEA COAST USA DANCE - Monthly Social Dance & Lesson Join us Saturday March 8th for an evening of social ballroom dance and a basic group dance lesson at the New Hanover County Senior Center, 2222 S. College Rd., Wilmington, NC. Group lesson given by Verna Jordan from 6:45 to 7:30PM. No partner necessary for the lesson.