- Published on Friday, 05 October 2012 23:54
- Written by Super User
NEW HANOVER CTY - The North Carolina Department of Transportation says they failed in properly communicating closure of the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge last weekend for maintenance on the cables that raise and lower the center span of the bridge.
This time NCDOT officials have pledged to get the word out to the motoring public but admit congestion will continue to be a factor.
The Department of Transportation will close the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge on U.S. 76 several times between now and October 15.
Dates and times for the closures are:
• Tuesday, Oct. 2, at 8 p.m. until Wednesday, Oct. 3, at 5 a.m.
• Wednesday, Oct. 10, at 8 p.m. until Thursday, Oct. 11, at 5 a.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 11, at 8 p.m. until Friday, Oct. 12, at 5 a.m.
• Friday, Oct. 12, at 8 p.m. until Monday, Oct. 15, at 5 a.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 13, closed for the entire 24 hours;
• Sunday, Oct. 14, closed for the entire 24 hours; and
• Monday, Oct. 15, closed until 5 a.m.
A signed detour will direct motorists entering or leaving Wilmington on U.S. 17 Business, U.S. 76 East or U.S. 421 South to use Isabel Holmes Bridge while the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge is closed.
For real-time travel information, call 511, visit www.ncdot.gov/travel or follow NCDOT on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ncdot_. Another option is NCDOT Mobile, a smartphone-friendly version of the NCDOT website.
To access it, type “m.ncdot.gov” into your browser and bookmark it for future reference.