- Published on Wednesday, 02 January 2013 11:44
- Written by Super User
By WILLARD KILLOUGH III
WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH - Former Carolina Beach Town Manager Tim Owens has been hired as Town Manager for Wrightsville Beach.
The Board of Aldermen announced the unanimous decision following a Monday morning December 31, closed session meeting. He fills the position after former manager Bob Simpson retired earlier this year.
Owens resigned as manager for Carolina Beach in early November. Mayor Ray Rothrock and Councilman Lonnie Lashley resigned during the same meeting shortly after Owens resignation was announced.
Timothy W. Owens served as Town Manager at Carolina Beach for six and a half years. His original start date with Carolina Beach was April 18, 2006 at a salary of $81,000 per year. For last budget year Owens was earning around $97,500.00. Prior to Carolina Beach he was County Manager for Pamlico County, NC. Mr. Owens served as Pamlico County Manager September 2004 to 2006. Prior to that, he was the Town Administrator for Shallotte from November 2000 to September 2004. From January 1997 to November 2000, he served as Assistant Town Manager/Planner for the Town of Kitty Hawk. His positions prior to that include the following:
• Code Enforcement Officer/Planner, Kitty Hawk, May 1995 to January 1997
• Planning Intern, Kill Devil Hills Planning Dept., January 1995 to April 1995
• Planning Intern, Town of Mint Hill Planning Dept. January 1994 to May 1994
• Transportation Analyst/Graduate Assistant, University of NC-Charlotte, August 1992 – December 1993.
• Proctor and Gamble Paper Products Co., Solid Waste Management Co-op, Greenville, NC, April 1991-December 1991.
Mr. Owens has a M.A. in Geography from the University of North Carolina-Charlotte and a B.S. in Urban and Regional Planning from East Carolina University. He is also a graduate of the Municipal Administration Course of the Institute of Government in Chapel Hill. He and his wife, Ellen, previously resided in Oriental, NC and ultimately relocated buying a home in Kure Beach, NC just south of Carolina Beach upon taking the position of Town Manager for Carolina Beach.
The Town of Wrightsville Beach will hold a reception on January 10th at 5PM in the Conference Room at Town Hall. The public is invited to attend and meet their new manager.