- Published on Wednesday, 20 February 2013 20:38
- Written by Super User
NEW HANOVER CTY - The strong residential construction trend now totaling over $112 million in construction dollars spent for this fiscal year continues and is currently outpacing commercial construction.
According to the latest construction activity report, issued by the New Hanover County Development Services Center, the largest project permitted in January was a $3.8 million Audi dealership located at 255 Old Eastwood Road in Wilmington. The second largest project was renovations to a dermatology clinic at 6781 Parker Farm Road at a cost of $750,000.
Other significant highlights include:
Residential New Construction
• A total of 68 new single family residential permits were issued in January, a 46% increase from same period in 2012.
• For this fiscal year to day, permits have been issued for 432 new single family units, compared to 280 units during the same period in 2012 - a 35% increase.
Total Construction Comparison (Jan. 2013 to Jan. 2012)
• The overall number of inspections decreased by 5%.
• Construction permits issued increased by 4%.
• Construction dollars spent decreased by 37%.
Total Construction Fiscal Year Comparison (2012-13 to 2011-12)
• Total construction dollars spent decreased 10%.
• Total number of permits issued increased 3%.
• Total inspections for Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Zoning increased 13%.
• Permits issued at no cost for city and/or county government projects for this fiscal year-to-date remains at .01% of the total construction dollars spent.
• Total new construction dollars spent for residential construction have now increased to 11% over commercial construction dollars spent.
Projects in "The Pipe"
After issuing building permits in Jan. 2013, totaling $32.6 million, there are 152 projects that remain in the plan review process, totaling $114.6 million. To date, January ranks as the largest one month amount in plan review.
The complete construction activity report is available by clicking on this link... or visiting www.nhcgov.com
Source: New Hanover County.