- Published on Wednesday, 08 May 2013 22:32
- Written by Super User
NEW HANOVER CTY - The residential construction trend continues in April with almost more than $24.7 million spent for new residential construction - the largest one month total for this fiscal year. More than 2,000 permits were issued, exceeding $58 million for total construction dollars spent.
According to the latest construction activity report issued by the New Hanover County Development Services Center, the largest project permitted in April was a $12.5 million, 112 unit apartment building with an attached parking garage located at 814 N. 3rd Street in Wilmington.
Other significant highlights include:
Residential New Construction:
• A total of 75 new single family residential permits were issued in April, a 15 percent increase from same period in 2012.
• For this fiscal year-to-date, permits have been issued for 629 new single family units compared to 441 units during the same period in 2012 - a 30 percent increase.
Total Construction Comparison (April 2013 to April 2012):
• The overall number of inspections increased by 8 percent.
• Construction permits issued increased by 18 percent.
• Construction dollars spent increased by 64 percent.
Total Construction Fiscal Year Comparison (2012-13 to 2011-12):
• Total construction dollars spent increased by 1 percent.
• Total number of permits issued increased by 4 percent.
• Total inspections for Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Zoning increased by 9 percent.
• Permits issued at no cost for city and/or county government projects for this fiscal year-to-date is currently 10 percent of the total dollars spent.
• Total construction dollars spent for new residential construction totaling $174 million is currently 48 percent of the total dollars spent.
Projects in "Plan Review":
• After issuing building permits in April 2013, totaling more than $58
million, there are 233 projects that remain in the plan review process exceeding $149 million.
To date, April now ranks as the largest one month amount in plan review since FY08-09.
The complete construction activity report is available at www.nhcgov.com
Source: New Hanover County.