- Published on Tuesday, 28 January 2014 13:53
- Written by Super User
By WILLARD KILLOUGH III
NEW HANOVER CTY - New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger has made headlines again, this time for once again not showing up for court.
Berger was scheduled to appear in a New Hanover County court January 23rd, but when he failed to show up, Judge Sandra Ray Criner issued a warrant for his arrest setting a $25,000 bond.
Berger told television stations WECT News Channel 6 and WWAY TV 3 that he was out of town in New York and was unaware of the court date.
Berger was to appear in court on charges of drug possession, driving under the influence and impeding traffic after Wilmington Police found him unresponsive in a vehicle on Masonboro Loop Road in early December 2013.
Berger told WWAYTV3 that he was scheduled for court on January 16th, the 29th and February 20th. He told WWAY that he was at the January 16th court date and no notice setting a date for January 23rd had been provided to him. WWAY reported the court date was continued the prior week and they and other news outlets reported the case was rescheduled until the 23rd.
Berger's January 29th court date is the result of another prior DWI charge from December 2012.
New Hanover County Commission Chairman Woody White asked County Commissioner Brian Berger to reconsider submitting his resignation during the Board's Monday December 9th, meeting. Berger did not attend the meeting. Commissioner Berger was found by law enforcement in his vehicle in the middle of Masonboro Loop Road, slumped over the wheel and unconscious.
A person called 911 after trying to make contact with Berger. He was charged with DWI, impeding traffic and possession of schedule II drugs and taken to the New Hanover County Jail. Berger is scheduled to be in court January 29th for a 2012 DWI charge.
During the December 9th Board of Commissioners meeting Chairman White explained, "Our thoughts are with commissioner Berger and what is obviously a tough time in his life and while we hope he is doing ok and hope he is seeking help, we also would like to strongly encourage him to reconsider resignation. In short of that we hope he will stay off our local roadways when his capacity to drive is not there. It's a dangerous situation what we think transpired last week. We've done an awful lot as a Board this year to address some of these concerns."
White explained, "We are continuing to keep the security measures in place at our public meetings. We are continuing to monitor and ensure our staff at County buildings are equally protected with the requirement that he be escorted by a Sheriff's Deputy each time he comes there. A requirement by the way he has ignored once and we hope he will not do that anymore."
He explained, "We wish him well and I will repeat what myself and the other three commissioners offered six months ago which is any time he wants our help all he has to do is ask for it. We don't condone the choices that he makes but we are fellow human beings and we are here to help him if he asks us."