Watch for Me NC Campaign Urges Drivers and Bicyclists to Be Safe and Considerate Road Users During Bike Month
- Published on Wednesday, 14 May 2014 22:37
- Written by Super User
RALEIGH, N.C. : May 5th, 2014 - The N.C. Department of Transportation, through its Watch for Me NC campaign, would like to remind drivers and bicyclists to “Make Room for Bikes” and be safe on the state’s road during Bike Month.
May is nationally recognized as Bike Month, a time to celebrate the benefits of two-wheeled transportation. A variety of events take place throughout the month, including National Bike to School Day on May 7, National Bike to Work Week May 12-16, and National Bike to Work Day on May 16. As such, NCDOT expects more bicyclists to be on the roads, and it is up to all road users to make sure our road stay safe.
The Watch for Me NC campaign, NCDOT’s statewide effort to improve pedestrian and bicyclist safety through better education and enforcement of the state’s pedestrian and bicycle laws, offers the following safety tips:
• Wear a helmet. It could save your life.
• Use a light and reflectors when bicycling at night, and be as visible as possible.
• Ride in the direction of traffic. Drivers may not be looking for you if you are riding the wrong way.
• Obey all signs and signals. This includes stopping at stop signs and red lights.
• Use all of your senses – watch and listen for cars, particularly at intersections and drive ways.
• Avoid distractions such as listening to headphones or answering phones when riding.
• Be watchful for bicyclists, drive at slower speeds, and avoid distraction.
• Before making a turn, be sure the path is clear of any bicyclist, particularly those traveling in bicycle lanes.
• Slow down in areas where you are likely to find bicyclists, such as near schools and playgrounds.
• Keep an eye out for bicyclists at night.
• Avoid distractions such as food, passengers and using mobile devices. Talking and texting while driving is both dangerous and illegal in many places.
Learn more bicycle and pedestrian safety tips at www.watchformnc.org.
ABOUT WATCH FOR ME NC
The Watch for Me NC campaign is a collaborative effort to reduce pedestrian and bicycle crashes through enhanced education and enforcement of pedestrian safety laws. The campaign consists of pedestrian, bicyclist and driver-focused safety messages as well as concerted efforts by area police to enforce pedestrian and bicycle laws.
Source: NC Department of Transportation.