- Published on Saturday, 14 April 2012 02:53
- Written by Super User
Laney Claim title, while Ashley takes 3rd Place
Are some phots from Ashley’s win over Olympic 9-1.
By: Shawn R. McKee
The Ashley High School Baseball team hosted its Spring Tournament this past week. This year 8 Teams were in the tournament including Leesville Road High School, Olympic, West Forsyth, Langley, Hoggard, New Hanover and laney. The Tournament started off this past Modnay and concluded with the championship game held Wednesday Night. In the Opening Round:
• Game 1: Leesville Road defeated New Hanover 11-4. Leesville Road (last year’s tournament champ) found themselves behind 3-1 until a 6 run 3rd inning gave them the lead which they never gave up winning by the final score of 11-4. New Hanover fell to 4-6 on the season, while Leesville Road improved to 10-0.
• Game 2 – Laney came back with big 6th inning to defeat West Forsyth 7-3. Laney only scored in 1 inning in this game but it was a big one. After a slow scoring game the Laney Bucs found themselves behind 3-0 going into the bottom of the 6th inning. That’s when Laney’s offense picked up the pace scoring 7 runs. The Bucs held West Forsyth scoreless in the top of the 7th inning to take the win 7-3. The win improves Laney’s record to 6-5, while the loss drops West Forsyth to 11-2 on their season.
• Game 3 – Olympic picked up the 4-0 shutout win over Hoggard. The Vikings couldn’t find a way to score in this low scoring game. Olympic was able to improve to 11-0 on their season after the 4-0 shutout win over Hoggard. The Vikings dropped to 9-4 on their season.
• Game 4 – The Eagles are able to hold on to advance after their 3-2 win over Langley. Langley was never able to get over the hump and get over its troubles against Ashley on Tuesday, as Langley fell 3-2 at Ashley after falling behind by three runs in the third inning. Langley scored two runs in the sixth on a two-run home run by DeFriest. Unfortunately, Langley wasn't able to take the lead back. Christian Wolfe had a strong game at the plate for Ashley. Wolfe went 2-2 and scored two runs. Wolfe singled in the first inning and doubled in the third inning. Pantelis Miliotis baffled Langley on the way to the win, striking out six batters. Ashley's pitcher allowed one earned run, four hits and one walk over 5 1/3 innings. DeFriest racked up two RBIs on one hit for Langley. DeFriest homered in the sixth inning. Matt Davis threw 1 2/3 innings of scoreless ball for Ashley. Ashley never trailed after scoring two runs in the first on an RBI single by Shane Shepard. HIGHLIGHTS: Shane Sheppard went 1 for 2 with a pair of RBI’s, and a stolen base; Chris Hicks went 2 for 3 with a RBI; Chance Sheppard went 1 for 3 with a double; Christian Wolfe went 2 for 2 with a double; and Corey Irwin went 1 for 1.
• Game 2: Hoggard and New Hanover played a close game with the Wild Cats coming out on top 4-2 – The Wild Cats were able to advance to the 5th & 6th Place Game after their 2 run win over the Vikings 4-2. New Hanover took a 1-0 lead after the 1st inning and never trailed. The Wild Cats went ahead 3-0 after picking up 2 more runs in the 2nd inning. However the Viking were able to get to wihin a run after picking up 2 in the top of the 3rd inning. That’s where the score stayed until the Wild Cats posted 1 more in the bottom of the 6th inning. After holding the Vikings scoreless in the top of the 7th the Wild Cats improved to 5-6 on the season while the Vikings dropped to 9-5.
• Game 3: Leesville Road was able to hold against Olympic 2-0 – Leesville Road and Olympic got into a pitchers duel in their 2nd Round game. The 2 runs Leesville Road picked up in the top of the 2nd inning proved to be all they needed in this game. Leesville Road advanced to the Championship Game and improved their record to 11-0 on their season, while Olympic dropped to 11-1 on the season.
Game 4: Laney was able to advance after a close game with Ashley 8-6 – The Eagles allowed 3 runs on errors which proved to be the difference in this 8-6semi-final game. After a 1-1 1st inning Laney was able to take a 4 run lead after picking up 4 runs in the top of the 2nd inning. The Eagles then got to within a run after scoring 3 unanswered runs. But Laney was able to pick up another run in the top of the 4th inning giving them a 2 run lead. The Eagles were then able to tie up the game at 6-6 in the bottom of the 5th inning after picking up 2 more runs. In the top of the 6th inning the Laney Buc’s got the go ahead runs needed to take the 8-6 win and advance to the Championship Game. Laney improved to 7-5 on the season while the Eagles dropped to 10-3. HIGHLIGHTS: Chris Hicks went 2 for 3 with a triple, RBI and 3 runs; Chance Sheppard went 2 for 4 with a double; Brian Stokes went 1 for 3 with a double and a run; Christian Wolfe went 1 for 3 with and RBI and a pair of runs; and Sam Cavanaugh went 1 for 3.
• Game 1: West Forsyth scores 5 unanswered runs to take the win 5-1 – After falling behind 1-0 in the top of the 2nd inning West Forsyth was able to score 5 unaswered runs with 2 in the 3rd, 2 in the 5th and 1 in the 6th. The win improved West Forsyth’s record to 12-2 on the season while Langley falls to 2-3.
• Game 1: For 7th & 8th Place – Hoggard was able to pick up the win against Langley 8-1 – The Hoggard Vikings were able to jump out to the early 2-0 lead after the 1st inning in this game. Nither team was able to get on the board again until Langley picked up their only run of the game in the top of the 3rd inning. After that it was all Hoggard as they picked up 4 5th inning runs and 2 in the 6th to take the win 8-1. The Vikings are now 10-5 on the season and Langley is 4-6.
• Game 2: For 5th & 6th Place – New Hanover comes from behind to defeated West Forsyth 7-3 – West Forsyth got off to a good start in this game taking a 3-0 lead after picking up 2 runs in the 1st and 1 in the 2nd. After that the Wild Cats took over picking up 3 runs in the 3rd and 5th inning and 1 more in the top of the 6th inning to take the win 7-3. New Hanover is now 6-6 on the season while West Forsyth dropped to 11-3.
• Game 3: For 3rd & 4th Place – Ashley was able to pick take 3rd Place in their Spring Break Tournament after a big win over Olympic 9-1. The Eagles got off to a good start picking up 3 runs in the top of the 1st inning. Ashley scored 4 runs in the 5th on a home run by Chris Hicks, a walk by Brian Stokes, an RBI single by Corey Irwin. The Eagles scored their last 2 runs in the bottom of the 6th inning to take the win 9-1. The Eagles Matt Davis started in his 1st game of the season for the Eagles and was on fire. Matt struck out 9 batters and had 70 strikes out of 119 pitches. HIGHLIGHTS: Chris Hicks went 3 for 4 with a triple, home run, 3 runs scored and a pair of RBI’s; Chance Sheppard went 3 for 4 with a double, a home run, 3 runs scored and a pair of RBI’s; Corey Irwin went 1 for 2 with a pair of RBI’S; Eric Eason went 1 for 2 with a run; Cody Howard went 1 for 1; and Shane Sheppard and Christian Wolfe each had 1 run.
• Game 4: Championship Game – Laney was able to win in Extra Innings – The Laney Bucs were able to come out on the winning side of this extra inning Championship Game. Laney had to play catch-up in this game after giving up 2 runs in the bottom of the 1st inning. Laney was able to get 1 run early in the top of the 2nd inning, but would have to wait until the 6th inning before they were able to tie up the game at 2-2. Neither team could score in the 7th inning, but Laney was able to pick up a run in the top of the 8th inning on wild pitch. Laney was able to keep Leesville scoreless in the bottom of the inning to take the win 3-2. Laney improved to 8-5 on the season while Leesville Road dropped their 1st loss of the season and are now 11-1.