- Published on Wednesday, 28 November 2012 23:17
- Written by Super User
The Volleyball Team’s Award Winners
The Screaming Eagles Fall Sports Teams held their Annual Sports Banquet’s this past Monday Night. The evening kicked off with the blessing before dinner by Don Harty, a buffet dinner catered by Middle of the Island Catering, followed by the Announcement of the Conference Championship which were: Men’s Cross Country (2nd Straight Year), Men’s Soccer, and the Volleyball team was tied for 1st Place with Greenville Rose. Next Athletic Director Roy Turner announced the All Conference Athletes in each sport, which were: Football x3, Soccer x7, Men’s Cross Country x3, Women’s Cross Country x2, and Volleyball x4. Fall Sports Also had a couple All Regional Athletes: Tony Mack, Daniel Harris, Gary O’Neil, and Brien Lancvaster. Also 2 Soccer Players were named All State: Gary O’Neil and Justin Savion. Justin has been nominated for All South and All American. After the diner the teams broke down into smaller groups with the parents and athletes to give out there awards.
• Men’s Cross Country – Overall Record 95-37 (Includes all invitational’s and the NCHSAA State Meet), Conference Record 31-2, 1st Place in the Mid-Eastern Conference Championship Meet for the 2nd straight year, 3rd Place finish at the NCHSAA 4A East Regional Championships (school record). The Boys set a school record for there top 5’s average with a impressive 16:56. The Boy’s were also a scholar athlete team. There were 3 members on the All Conference Team: Brien Lancaster, Joseph Harty, and Bryan Veals, with 2 more on the 2nd team all conference: Will Mayo and Daniel Lancaster. The Brien Lancaster also finished 6th Place at the NCHSAA 4A East Regional Meet finishing on the 1st Team All Region and Bryan Veals was 19th on the 2nd team all Region. Special Team Awards: Most Valuable Runner went to Brien Lancaster, Most Improved went to Vaughn Rizzo (Winner of the JV Conference Meet), Most Outstanding Freshman Cody Benton, Coach’s Award went to Bryan Veals. Volunteer Appreciation Award went to Maureen & Dennis Chinn for there outstanding service to the XC Team.
• Women’s Cross Country – Overall Record 30-27, 4th Overall at Conference, 8th Overall at Regionals (School Record), had the highest GPA of all the Fall Sports Teams, school record with: Regional Place 8th, Avg for top 5 Runners 21:43, Avg at a Regional Meet 22:30. Lindsey Williams took 2nd at the Conference Championship’s, with teammate Julia Boudreau close behind to both take all conference. Then the Ladies both were able to qualify for the NCHSAA 4A Championship Meet after finishing 9th and 12th at the East Regional Meet putting them on the NCHSAA 4A East Regional 2nd Team All Region and they are just freshman. Special Awards: Most Valuable Runner went to Julia Boudrea and Lindsey Williams, Most Outstanding Freshman Abigail Efting, Most Improved Meghan Chinn, Coach’s Award went to Elizabeth Troutwine, 4-Year Eagle Award goes to any athlete that has been on the Varsity team all 4 years and this season Elizabeth Troutwine was the only recipient.
• Varsity Football – Had 3 Members on the 1st Team All Conference: Randy Eller, Frank Keller, and Quincy Rhodes. Also the Eagles had 1 member on the 2nd Team All Conference: Antonio Williams. Special Awards were: Team Award went to Randy Keller, Best Defensive Lineman Michael Jenks, Most Improved Player Chris Kane, Best Offensive Lineman Frank Keller, Heart Ward Alec Prindale, Best Offensive Player Quincy Rhodes, and Leading Tackler was Antonio Williams.
• Women’s Golf – The Ladies had 3 NCHSAA Qualifiers: Darby Bagshaw, Kathryn Flax, and Molly Hobbs and they are all 9th Graders. Taking the Coach’s Award this season was Senior Caroline Powers.
• Varsity Soccer – Overall Record 16-4-1 Conference 9-1 finish 1st Place in the Mid-Eastern Conference. 54 Goals Scored (2.57 a game), 22 Goals allowed (1.04 a game), 10 shutouts (6 in the conference and 2 against Hoggard), highest State Rank was 7th. Scholar Athlete Team with at least a 89 Average. An impressive 7 All Conference Players: Tony Mack, Austin Davis, Daniel Harris, Gary O’Neill, Justin Savinon, Victor Sosa, & Myles Strickland and 3 more on the 2nd Team All Conference: Thomas Schimpf, Britton Deets, & Durwin Hamilton. They also had the All Eastern Region Player of the Year in Justin Savion. 3 Members on the 1st Team All Region: Tony Mack, Daniel Harris, & Gary O”Neill. Austin Davis was on the 2nd Team All Region and Victor Sosa & Durwin Hamilton were Honorable Mentions. Justin Savion has also been nominated for All South and All American. Special Team Awards: Leadership Award went to Victor Sosa, Mr. Versatility Award went to Austin Davis, Coach’s Award went to Jonathan Lanier, the other coach’s award went to Jordan Clemmer, and the Final Award was the M.V.P. which was split so the award went to Justin Savion and Gary O’Neil.
• Women’s Tennis – Special Awards: Best Doubles Julia Koff and Brianna Rogers, Most Improved Emily Ulman, and the Most Valuable Player was Heather Parra.
• Varsity Volleyball – 18-6 Overall and 9-1 in Conference Play, tied for 1st Place in the Mid-Eastern Conference, and State Rank 19th. The ladies had 4 Players on the 1st Team All Conference: Felecity Havens, Mackenzie O’Connell, Kara Plottner, and Brandi Thomas. Also they had 2 Players on the 2nd Team All Conference: Addison Garrigus and Emery McGee. Special Team Awards: Eagle Award went to Emery McGee, Offensive Player of the Year went to Felecity Havens, and the Most Valuable Player was Brandi Thomas.