- Published on Monday, 20 August 2012 10:32
- Written by Super User
• 8/9 – Wilmington, NC 9 Conyers, GA 8 – Post 10 avoids the loser’s bracket with their close 9-8 win over Conyers, GA this past Thursday Night. Post 10 was able to get on the board first in the bottom of the 1st inning after a pitch hit Chris Hicks with bases loaded sending Christian Wolfe home. The pitchers keep the game scoreless in the 2nd inning, but Conyers offense found a way to score 2 runs on Post 10’s Bryan Simmons in the top of the 3rd inning to take the 2-1 led. Tough pitching again keep 0’s on the scoreboard until the 5th inning when Coyners was able to pick up a run in the top of the inning bringing the score to 3-1. However in the bottom of the inning Post 10 was able to mount a rally. Steven Linkous was the 1st batter up and drew a walk and advanced to 2nd on a passed ball. Next batter up Chance Sheppard sent a shot over the left field fence to tie up the game at 3-3. Shane followed his brother with a single through the right side and the next batter Sam Foy was able to follow suit, putting runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. Chris Hciks was then able to lay down a perfect SAC Bunt advancing the runners to 2nd & 3rd. The next batter up Colin Thacker lined out, but was able to get Shane Sheppard home and advanced Sam to 3rd base giving Post 10 a 4-3 led. The pitchers took over again holding the game to 4-3 until Conyers had a big 8th inning. They finally were able to get Post 10’s started out of the game and get 4 more runs off their 1st reliever before the inning was over. In all they picked up 5 runs and took a 8-4 lead with just 6 outs left in the game. In the bottom of the inning Post 10 showed that they weren’t done yet. Christian Wolfe started a 2-out rally with his single to right field. A pitch then hit Steven Linkous, putting runners on 1st and 2nd for Chance Sheppard. Chance then nailed a RBI double to right center scoring both runs for Post 10. After picking up another out Post 10’s Sam Foy singled scoring Chance and putting them just a run down going into the last inning. In the 9th inning Post 10’s defense lead by relief pitcher Gray Brooks shut down Conyers 1-2-3 giving their offense 3 outs to score 2 runs. It real looked bad for Post 10 as their 1st 2 batters went down quickly, but Jack Faircloth got the rally started with a double down the right field line. Christian Wolfe was then intentionally walked and after another walk to Steven Linkous. Post 10 had the bases loaded with their best hitter up. This is a situation most kids dream of, “Bases loaded bottom of the 9th inning, 2 outs and down by a run.” Chance steps up and knocks his 3rd and most important hit of the night up the middle scoring both the tying run and the winning run giving Post 10 the 9-8 win and advancing them into the next round.
HIGHLIGHTS: Pitching: Bryan Sammons went 7 innings, gave up 7 hits and 4 runs, had 8 strikeouts and threw 100 pitch’s; Kenny Lanier had 1 strikeout and Gray Brooks got the win in 1.1 innings of work with 1 strikeout. Hitting: Christian Wolfe went 4 for 5 and scored 3 runs; Steven Linkous had 2 runs; Chance Sheppard went 3 for 5 with 2 runs and 6 RBI’s; Shane Sheppard went 1 for 3 with a run; Sam Foy went 2 for 3 with a RBI; Chris Hicks had a RBI; Colin Thacker had a RBI; and Jack Faircloth went 1 for 5 with a run.
• 8/10 – Wilmington NC 14 vs. Sumter, SC 6 – This one looked to be trouble as Wilmington Post 10 had to play the Host team Sumter, SC. Early it looked like it was going to go Sumter’s way as they scored 1st with a run in the bottom of the 1st inning. After 2 scoreless innings Wilmington finally got on the board after they scored 2 unearned runs in the top of the 3rd inning. Jack Faircloth’s RBI double scored Colin Thacker who reached on a throwing error. Faircloth later scored after a throwing error giving Wilmington a 2-1 lead. Sumer was able to tie the game back up at 2-2 after picking up a run in the bottom of the 3rd inning.
Wilmington regained the led in the top of the 4th inning 3-2. Chris Hicks lead off with a walk before advancing on a single by Thacker. Faircloth got up with 2 outs a hit a single to right field scoring Hicks and advancing Thacker to 3rd. Steven Linkous had the bases loaded after Christian Wolfe was hit by a pitch, but went down swinging leaving 3 left on base. The game was quiet until Wilmington came up with a big 6th inning. Thacker got things started with a single, Austin Godwin was hit by a pitch, followed by a infield single by Faircloth to load the bases. Wolfe then scored Thacker with a RBI single keeping the bases loaded. Linkous then hit another single scoring Godwin. After 2 consecutive outs Sam Foy stepped up to the plate and hit a triple scoring Wilmington’s last 3 runs of the inning giving them an 8-2 lead. Wilmington posted 3 more runs in the top of the 7th inning. Godwin got things started with a 1-out single, Faircloth followed with a single advancing Godwin to 2nd base. Wolfe drew a walk to load the bases for Linkous who got a RBI and reached base on a fielder’s choice. Linkous was ableto put runner’s on 2nd and 3rd after stealing 2nd base. Chance Sheppard was then able to reach base on a throwing error and take 2nd base, sending Linkous and Faircloth across the plate for Wilmington’s 10th and 11th runs. Sumter was able to cut into Wilmington’s led in the bottom of the 7th inning but just by a run making the score 11-3. However Wilmington was able to get that run right back in the top of the 8th inning after Faircloth flied out scoring Chris Hicks.
After holding Sumter scoreless again in the bottom of the 8th inning Wilmington was able to increase there led to 14-3. Chance Sheppard got the inning started with a lead off single to left, brothers Shane then walked. Tyler Kosh came in to pitch hit for Sam Foy. Tyler put runners on the corners and reaching base on a fielder’s choice. Chris Hicks then grounded out to 2nd but scored Sheppard and advancing Kosh to 2nd base. Thacker followed with a RBI double scoring Kosh and giving Wilmington their 14th run.
The bottom of the 9th was anything but 3 easy outs for Wilmington as Sumter was able to post 3 runs before the final out. Wilmington Post 10 won by a final score of 14-6.
HIGHLIGHTS: Pitching: Joe O’Donnell got the win, pitching 7 innings, giving up 4 hits, 3 runs, walking 3, striking out 4 and throwing 114 pitches; Tyree Johnson got the save, pitched 2 innings, giving up 2 runs on 2 hits and striking out 4. Hitting: Christian Wolfe went 2 for 4 with a run and a RBI; Steven Linkous had a hit, 2 runs, and 2 RBI’s; Chance Sheppard went 2 for 6 with a run; Shane Sheppard had a hit; Sam Foy had a triple and 3 RBI’s; Tyler Kosh had a run; Chris Hicks had 2 runs, a hit and a RBI; Colin Thacker went 4 for 6 with 2 runs and a RBI; Austin Godwin had 2 runs and a hit; Colin Dolan had a hit; and Jack Faircloth went 4 for 4 with 3 runs and 3 RBI’s.
• 8/11 – Wilmington, NC 16 Lynchburg, VA 0 – Games this far into the playoffs are not supposed to be this one-sided but that is just what this game was as Wilmington Post 10 blew out Lynchburg Virginia 16-0 in just 7 inning. After a scoreless 1st inning Wilmington picked up 2 runs in the 2nd inning after back-to-back doubles by Thacker and Godwin followed by a RBI by Faircloth. Wilmington proved how explosive their offense could be, posting 7 runs in the bottom of the 3rd inning. Linkous drew a led off walk and advanced to 2nd base on a wild pitch, followed by a RBI triple by Chance Sheppard. Sam Foy scored Sheppard on a RBI single. Foy then was able to steal 2nd base followed Chris Hicks walk, Thacker then flied out advancing Hicks to 3rd base. Godwin then hit a single down the left field line scoring 2 runs. Faircloth then got a RBI single scoring Godwin and knocking Lynchburg’s pitcher out of the game. Despite the pitching change Wilmington’s offense continued to score as Wolfe doubled to left scoring Faircloth. Wolfe advanced to 3rd on a Wild Pitch and scored on a throwing error. Linkous then drew a walk, followed by a Chance Sheppard single. Both runners advanced on a wild pitch, but Shane Sheppard flied out to Center Field to end the 7 run inning.
After a scoreless 5th inning Wilmington got the bats cracking again in the top of the 6th inning picking up 5 more runs. Faircloth started out the inning getting hit by a pitch, but was out the next play after Wolfe hit into a fielder’s choice. Linkous was then hit by a pitch and Sheppard hit a RBI single to right field, scoring Wolfe and advancing Linkous to 3rd base. Then brother Shane got up a drew a walk to load the bases. Then Sam Foy stepped up with bases loaded a hit a grand slam giving Wilmington a 16-0 led. That would be the end of the scoring giving Wilmington the 16-0 win.
HIGHLIGHTS: Pitching: Gray Brooks went 6 innings and struck out 2 throwing just 52 pitch’s; Greg Trotta cam in for 1 inning throwing just 12 pitch’s. Hitting: Christian Wolfe went 2 for 5 with a pair of runs and a RBI; Steven Linkous had 2 runs, Chance Sheppard was 3 for 6 with 2 runs and 2 RBI’s; Shane Sheppard had 2 runs and a hit; Sam Foy had5 RBI’s, went 3 for 5 with 3 runs and had a Grand Slam; Chris Hicks went 1 for 3 with 2 runs; Austin Godwin went 2 for 3 with 2 runs and 2 RBI’s; and Jack Faircloth went 1 for 3 with a run and 3 RBI’s.
• 8/12 – Wilmington, NC 10 Florence, SC 14 – Wilmington had to do something they haven’t had to do since playing Whiteville almost 3 weeks ago. Playing catch-up! Florence got the scoring started with 2 runs in the top of the 1st inning to start off the game, followed by another run in the top of the 2nd inning. Wilmington cut it to 3-2 after Thacker and Godwin’s RBI singles. But Florence picked up 2 more in the top of the 3rd inning giving them a 5-2 lead. Wilmington was able to make it 5-3 after picking up another run in the bottom of the 3rd inning after a solo home run by Chance Sheppard. Florence was able to increase their lead by 2 more runs in the top of the 4th inning bringing the score to 7-3. Wilmington dropped the lead back to 3 runs 7-5 after Thacker and Faircloth’s RBI’s. Florence again added 2 more runs to their lead in the top of the 5th inning thanks to several wild pitches’ giving them their 4 run lead back 9-5. Both teams were quiet until Florence’s offense struck again in the top of the 7th inning picking up 3 runs on 4 hits and an error giving them a big lead 10-5. Wilmington had another scoreless inning before finding themselves down 2 more runs 12-5 when Florence picked up 2 more runs in the top of the 8th inning, giving Wilmington just 4 outs left. Well 2 of them were gone immediately in the bottom of the 8th inning before Wolfe reached on a fielding error. Wolfe then stole 2nd base and Linkous singled to the shortstop advancing Wolfe to 3rd base. Linkous then advanced to 2nd base on a Wild Pitch and Wolfe scored. Linkous also made it to 3rd base sending Florence to the bullpen. After a pitching change Florence was able to get Chance Sheppard to fly out to right Field. Wilmington was able to hold Florence scoreless in the top of the 9th inning giving them 3 outs to make up 8 runs. A pitch to start the 9th inning hit Shane Sheppard. Followed by a RBI double by Foy scoring pinch runner Dolan. Chris Hicks got hit by a pitch, Thacker then hit into a fielder’s choice. Hicks advanced to 2nd on a fielding error and Foy advanced to 3rd base. Wilmington then picked up their 2nd out on a strike out. Faircloth then hit a RBI single scoring Foy. Thacker advanced to 2nd base, Hicks advanced to 3rd base. Wolfe then drew a walk, followed by a Linkous RBI single scoring Faircloth and Thacker. Florence then had to chance pitcher’s for Chance Sheppard. Chance then ended up fouling out to end the rally and the game giving Florence the win 14-10. The loss doesn’t mean Wilmington is out. Tomorrow Florence, SC will go against Tuscaloosa, AL to see who the Southeast Region winner is. The winner will represent the Southeast Region in the American Legion Baseball World Series.
HIGHLIGHTS: Pitching: Cory Irwin got the loss went 2.1 inning gave up 5 hits and 5 runs, striking out 1; Kenny Lanier went 2.2 innings gave up 3 hits and 4 runs and struck out 4; Greg Trotta went 2 innings gave up 4 hits and 3 runs; and Tyree Johnson went 2 innings gave up 2 hits and 2 runs and struck out 1. Hitting: Christian Wolfe had a hit, Steven Linkous went 3 for 6 with a RBI; Chance Sheppard went 1 for 5 with a hit, run and a RBI; Shane Sheppard had a run; Colin Dolan had a run; Sam Foy went 1 for 4 with a RBI and a pair of runs; Chris Hicks had a run; Colin Thacker had a pair of runs; and Jack Faircloth went 1 for 3 with a run and a pair of RBI’s.
• 8/13 – Wilmington, NC 2 Florence, SC 10 – Post 10 came up just 1 game short of making it to the American Legion World Series in their 10-2 loss to Florence, SC. Florence jumped on post 10 early scoring 3 runs in the bottom of the 1st inning and didn’t look back. Post 10 made it a 3-1 game in the top of the 2nd inning after on a RBI single by Faircloth. But Florence got the run back in the bottom of the inning. Both teams were scoreless in the 3rd inning and Post 10 got back to within 2 runs in the top of the 4th inning. However it would be as close as they got as Florence held them scoreless after that while their offense added 6 more runs to their lead to take the 10-2 win.