- Published on Wednesday, 22 January 2014 15:38
- Written by Super User
Click image for larger view...In the 9-11 Age Division El Cazador and Carolina Beach Subway also had a close game.
By: Shawn R. McKee
• Michael’s Seafood vs. American Legion – This was a extremely close game with Michael’s taking a 1-point lead after the 1st quarter 8-7. However by halftime it was the American Legion that took a 1-point lead after outscoring Michael’s Seafood 13-11 in the 2nd quarter. After halftime Michael’s Seafood the same close play continued with Michael’s able to tie up the game at 26-26. In the final quarter both teams continued to trade baskets including some big free throws by both teams, when the final buzzer sounded both teams were locked in at 35-35. In overtime American Legion’s Ryan Bailey hit the game winner as he picked up 2 of there 3 overtime points to take the win 38-36. HIGHLIGHTS: American Legion: #13 Ryan Bailey 25, #3 Elijah Akins 8, #5 Lucas Wilson and #11 Cade Smith-Martin 2 each and #12 Kyle Carpenter 1. Michael’s Seafood: #10 Ethan Graves 15, #14 Tyler Tranchon 10, #3 Matt Heglar 5, and #2 Austin Johnson and #13 Skii Bollinger 3-points each.
• Costco vs. Superior Medical – Costco was able to take a 6-point lead after a 11-5 1st quarter, however in the 2nd quarter Superior cut it down to 4-points after outscoring them by a point. After halftime Costco began to pull away outscoring Superior 13-9 in the 3rd quarter. In the final quarter Costco’s offense led by a 10-point performance from Kevin Mintz picked up 17-points to take the win 53-36. HIGHLIGHTS: Costco: #12 Kevin Mintz 18, #14 Vinny Farmintino 10, #11 Rocco Farmintino and #1 Bradley Plyler 8-points, #3 Aidan Lafferty 3, #13 Jacob Hardison, #4 Branden Plyler and #10 Fisher Waggett 2-points each. Superior Medical: #3 Jake Ettefagh 11, #4 Jantzen Hartsell 10, #14 Jacob Reeves 7, #13 Thomas Blankenbecker 4, #12 Jarod Tanner and #15 Jeffrey Murphy 2-points each.
15-17 Age Division Friday Games
• CBPD vs. Hamm Hearing Aid – This was a close game from start to finish with Hamm taking a 1-point lead after the 1st quarter. However in the 2nd quarter CBPD blow the game wide open after scoring 22-points while holding Hamm to 8 giving them a big halftime lead 33-20. However after halftime Hamm went on a 12-4 run putting them within 5-points of the CBPD 37-32. In the final quarter Hamm’s offense made a nice come back, but their defense couldn’t stop CBPD and they went on to win by a final score of 49-45. HIGHLIGHTS: CBPD: #11 Connor Garnette 22, #3 Drake Overton 8, #14 Braelyn Little 7, #10 William Noxon 5, #12 Ra-Shawn Anglin 4, and #1 Michael Gotto 3. Hmm Hearing: #5 Dustin Hancock 23, #3 Nash Best 12, #4 Scott Best 7, #13 Larry Davis 2, and #12 Ryan Hardison 1.
• Allied Pest Control vs. Blackburn Brothers – After a 8-8 1st quarter Blackburn Brothers was able to take a 4-point lead at halftime 21-17. After halftime Blackburn was able to stretch their lead out to 7-points 32-25 after a 11-8 3rd quarter. In the final quarter Blackburn’s offense exploded with 17-points, while their defense held off a late run to take the win 49-40. HIGHLIGHTS: Blackburn Brothers: #11 Donovan Francis 17, #1 Jake Trafton 9, #3 Justin Blackburn 9=8, #13 Dane Schretter 7, #2 Michael Fasano and #5 Kyle Dowling 3-points each and #10 Logan Loftin 2.
6-8 Age Division Saturday Games
• P.I. Exercise Club vs. Island Tackle & Hardware – Island Tackle started off the 1st quarter of this game with a 4-0 run. However in the 2nd quarter PI Exercise Club got to within a point of Island Tackle after outscoring them 6-3 in the 2nd quarter. After halftime the 1-point lead remained after a 6-6 3rd quarter. In the final quarter P.I. Exercise Club got 2 key baskets from Silas Jackson and Layth Monroe to take the win 16-15. HIGHLIGHTS: Carolina Beach Realty: #14 Terrell Parker 14, #3 Cane Mehling 10, and #5 Parker Kitts and #1 Landon Carey 2 each. Island Montessori School: #13 Keaton Green 4, #14 Brian Graybush 2, and #3 Natalie Smith 1.
• Carolina Beach Realty vs. Island Montessori School – After a close 4-3 1st quarter Carolina Beach Realty was able to jump out to a big 13-point lead at halftime after outscoring Island Montessori School 12-0 in the 2nd quarter. After halftime Carolina Beach Realty outscored Island Montessori School 2-0 in the 3rd quarter and 10-4 in the 4th to take the win 28-7. HIGHLIGHTS: Carolina Beach Realty: #14 Terrell Parker 14, #3 Cane Mehling 10, and #5 Parker Kitts and #1 Landon Carey each had 2-points. Island Montessori School: #13 Keaton Green 4, #1 Wynton Lawrie 2, and #3 Natalie Smith 1.
• CBPD vs. Lazy Pirate – This was a nail bitter with both teams tied up at 8-8 after the 1st quarter. By halftime Lazy Pirate was able to take a 2-point lead 14-12 after outscoring CBPD 4-2. After halftime the same close play continued with both teams picking up 4-points in the 3rd quarer The Lazy Pirates 2-point lead held up. In the final quarter both teams continued to play tough defense on each and by the final buzzer Lazy Pirate had the win 20-17. HIGHLIGHTS: CBPD: #5 Jayce Atanasoff 10, #12 Kendall Marcucelli 4, and #1 Talan Groseclose 3. Lazy Pirate: #10 Owen Morini, #14 Carter Grace, and #1 Isaiah Hunter each had 6-points, and #13 Khalil Kelly had 2.
9-11 Age Division Saturday Games
• Subway vs. El Cazador – This was another close game with El Cazador taking a 2-point lead by the end of the 1st quarter. However in the 2nd quarter Subway was able to tie up the game at 14-14 after outscoring El Cazador 10-8. After halftime E; Cazador was able to get to their largest lead of the game at 5-points after outscoring Subway 9-4 in the 3rd quarter. In the 4th quarter Subway’s come back was cut short and El Cazador went on to win by a final score of 29-22. HIGHLIGHTS: El Cazador: #4 Cayne Davis 9, #11 Winston Davis 8, #12 Logan Parker 6, #5 Tyler Davis 4, and #13 Kostya Gilman 2. CB Subway: #2 Harry Smith-Martin 10, #14 Dion Wallace 8, and #10 Leo Baggie and #12 Joseph Stagner 2-points each.
• Mid Atlantic Drilling vs. CBDI – The 1st quarter of this game was close with CBDI taking a 1-point edge 5-4. In the 2nd quarter CBDI was able to 5-point lead after outscoring Mid-Atlantic Drilling 4-1. After halftime Mid-Altantic and CBDI continued to play tough defense and by the end of the quarter CBDI held on to a 3-point lead. In the final quarter CBDI’s defense stepped up and held Mid-Atlantic to just 4 free throws, while their offense picked up 11-points. CBDI won by a final score of 24-14 keeping them in 1st Place. HIGHLIGHTS: CBDI: #1 Jack Garcia 10, #11 Jadon Morni 6, #5 Nicolas Ruscetti 5, #4 Jacob Chalmers 2, and #13 Nicolas Schwenker 1. Mid-Atlantic Drilling: #10 Nate Milin, #2 Jas Herring, and #1 Matthew Silver each had 4-points, and #3 Seanan Darakjy 2.
• Hines Senior Center vs. Nikki’s Sushi –This was a much closer game from the starting tip-off to the final buzzer with Nikki’s taking a 1-point lead after the 1st quarter 4-3. However by halftime Hines Senior Center was able to tie up the game at 8-8 after a 5-4 2nd quarter. After halftime Hines was able to take its largest lead of the game at 13-10 after a 5-2 3rd quarter. In the final quarter Nikki’s Kyler Schoonmaker scored 9-points helping give his team the win 19-16. HIGHLIGHTS: Nikki’s Sushi: #3 Kyler Schoonmaker 15 and #5 Best Testori and #12 Brynn Little 2 each. Hines Senior Center: #12 Mason Massey 6, #2 Dominic Farmintino 4, #10 Jackson Kupec 3, #4 Andrew Barbee 2, #5 Sam McNamara 1.
• Cloudwyze vs. Kure Beach Pier – Cloudwyze ran away with this game after the 1st quarter when they took a 10-point lead 15-5. After the 1st quarter Cloundwyze’s offense quitted down but still added 2 more points to their lead 23-11 by halftime after outscoring Kure Beach Pier 8-6. After the halftime break Cludwyze continued to pull away outscoring Kure Beach Pier 4-2 in the 3rd quarter and 10-2 in the 4th quarter giving them the win 37-15. HIGHLIGHTS: Cloudwyze: #12 Robbie Helmus 10, #5 Kenan Everhart 8, #13 Jared Becken and #3 Trey Johnson 6-points each, #1 Brady Spartley, #11 Colin Kitts, and #2 Brynnela Taft 2-points each, and #14 Keegan Past 1. Kure Beach Pier: #5 Owen Davies 5, #11 Maddox Greene and #13 Mason Johnson 4 each, #10 Patrick Furbay 2.
In the 6-8 Age Division CBPD and the Lazy Pirate had a close game.
Pleasure Island Rec. Center’s Youth Basketball
6:30pm Michael’s Seafood vs. Costco
7:30pm Superior Medical vs. American Legion P.I. Post 129
6:30pm Blackburn Bros. Seafood vs. C.B.P.D.
7:30pm Allied Pest Control vs. Hamm Hearing Aids
9:00am Carolina Beach Realty vs. P.I. Exercise
10:00am Island Montessori School vs. Lazy Pirate
11:00am CBPD vs. Island Tackle & Hardware
1:00pm El Cazador vs. Mid Atlantic Drilling
2:00pm Nikki’s Gourmet & Sushi vs. CloudWyze
3:00pm Kure Beach Pier vs. CB Subway
4:00pm CB Downtown Initiative vs. Hines Senior Center